NowThis is looking for a Production Counsel based in NY for a daily live morning news show. Working with the #1 video news brand on the social web, you’ll play an integral role in the daily production of a live news program,
- Advise on all legal matters that arise in all phases of NowThis content production, including intellectual property, First Amendment, defamation, and privacy matters.
- Work with NowThis newsroom staff to ensure compliance with production standards and practices and to advise on issues in real-time. Revise and update production standards and practices as necessary.
- Negotiate and manage content licensing and rights and clearance program as necessary.
- Stay up-to-date and keep key business partners informed about changes to existing policies, laws, and regulations.
- Help maintain Legal and Business Affairs Team infrastructure, company records, and internal systems.
- Perform other duties and support other groups as assigned.
- JD degree and admission to one or more state Bars (must be in good standing, and if not admitted in New York, must be willing to register as in-house counsel in New York).
- Must have at least 3-5 years of experience in content vetting and pre-publication/pre-broadcast content review.
- Must have advanced understanding and experience in intellectual property law, defamation law, privacy law, First Amendment law, and related fields.
- Experience and confidence independently drafting and negotiating a variety of agreements.
- Basic understanding of the wide variety of transactions and legal issues that arise at a digital media company, including content production and distribution deals, online advertising compliance, data management and security, commercial real estate transactions, and personnel management.
- Strong sense of urgency and people management skills.
- Excellent organization, prioritization, problem-solving, and communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail, commitment to quality, and passion for results.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, and understanding of relevant technology, including various digital distribution channels, content development systems, and advertising platforms.
- Strong interest in the business and desire to work within a multidisciplinary team.
About Group Nine:
Group Nine Media is one of the world's largest digital-first media companies and the #1 publisher on Facebook Watch, boasting over 5 billion monthly video views [source: Crowd platform specific analytics modules] and reaching 81% of U.S. adults in their 20s [source: Nielsen]. With over 120 million social engagements each month [source: ListenFirst Media], Group Nine's brands are built for consumption on the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. Group Nine is home to NowThis (the no. 1 most watched social news brand in the world), The Dodo (the no. 1 animal brand on social), Thrillist (the most trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment) and Seeker (the digital leader in science and curiosity). Group Nine recently acquired Emmy nominated, Cannes Lion and Sundance Film Festival award-winning production studio, JASH.
We offer great benefits such as medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), PTO, company paid AD&D, Life Insurance, Short-term & Long-term disability, and much more!
Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.