EquityZen is an early-mid stage financial technology company, backed by leading venture and private equity investors. We're looking for a Senior Capital Markets Counsel to join our growing team as we redefine private markets. The Senior Capital Markets Counsel will focus on managing transactions, contributing to regulatory, corporate, product, and other legal and business development matters. This person will play a key role in leading the team and driving change and innovation in the way we integrate people, processes and technology. If capital markets and closing deals in the FinTech space excites you, let's talk!
Our platform enables large, private companies to deliver liquidity to their shareholders while providing investors access to invest in these proven, pre-IPO companies. EquityZen has served over 200 pre-IPO technology companies and is proud to be considered a liquidity provider for 1 out of 2 of the largest unicorns. A testament to EquityZen's secure, paperless, and industry-defining online investment platform, we have successfully completed 12,000+ private placement transactions. Focusing on automating an antiquated offline process has allowed us to lead the charge in building more efficient, cost-effective, and transparent private markets. Watch this short video to learn more: equityzen.com/press.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Reporting to the Marketplace Director, this person will act as EquityZen’s lead transactional attorney and close deals in the nascent private secondary markets
- Manage, lead, and mentor a team of driven deal lawyers and paralegals
- Work with the deal and tech teams to improve process: make deals faster, more automated, and more efficient
- Iterate on standard forms to remove friction and improve conversion
- Advise business units on regulatory developments and compliance
- Negotiate and draft placement agreements, share transfer agreements, subscription agreements and side letters
- Launch diversified and thematic managed funds in collaboration with outside counsel
THE RIGHT STUFF
- 3+ years’ (i) transactional experience in broader capital markets or investment funds at a top tier law firm; (ii) in-house transactional role at venture funded fintech startup; (iii) in-house capital markets role at an investment bank or hedge fund; or (iv) in-house transactional role at a private fund.
- Demonstrated success in recruiting, managing, and mentoring team members
- Law degree and qualification to practice as in-house counsel in the State of New York
- You love being a lawyer and want to be part of a close and collaborative legal team.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines
- You are detail-oriented, enthusiastic, resourceful, diligent, and comfortable acting in the face of ambiguity
- You are able to work independently with little or no supervision.
- You have excellent communication skills (verbal, written and listening).
- You exercise first-rate judgment and have the ability to prioritize.
BONUS POINTS IF YOU HAVE
- ’33 Act, ‘34 Act and/or ’40 Act experience
- Experience drafting the following documents: Share Transfer Agreements, Placement Agreements, Subscription Agreements, Non-Disclosure Agreements, as well as Offering Memoranda and Risk Factors.
EquityZen offers a competitive salary, stock options, full employee benefits (health, dental, vision), individual professional development and wellness budget, flexible paid time off, and more!
We are dedicated to prioritizing all employees’ health and safety during the COVID-19 pandemic. We have a new, socially-distant friendly office space in NYC’s financial district where we have established strict protocols to protect the health and safety of all employees; however, working from the office is strictly voluntary until further notice.
EquityZen provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, EquityZen complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. EquityZen expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of EquityZen’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.