Senior Corporate Counsel (Commercial Transactions) at Gemini
Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice — our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
Select roles that are location-specific will still be eligible for flexible schedules.
The Department: Legal
The Legal department at Gemini is making history every day, as we creatively apply the legacy of law to the future of digital assets. On this team, you will tackle complex and unprecedented applications of the current legal system to the revolutionary industry of cryptocurrency and blockchain technology. At Gemini, Legal plays a critical role in guiding innovation and driving value for the business, while upholding our core tenets of security, compliance, and trust for our customers. Join us and help define the Legal Department of the Future.
The Role: Senior Corporate Counsel (Commercial Transactions)
As Commercial Counsel at Gemini, you are the ultimate writer and negotiator. Leveraging both breadth and depth of experience at a law firm and/or as in-house counsel, you will lead the drafting, revision, evaluation and negotiation of strategic partnership, financial institution, licensing, consulting, marketing, non-disclosure, and other financial, commercial, technology, and vendor agreements. You also will help Gemini scale a nimble and efficient legal agreement work flow tasked with addressing and tackling the complex contractual challenges that confront a disruptive emerging asset class. By working closely with Gemini’s Business Development, Finance and Accounting, and Supplier Relations teams, you’ll play a critical role in building our business at the forefront of the future of money.
- Draft, evaluate, and negotiate a wide variety of commercial agreements.
- Provide risk-weighted advice to business principals that succinctly balances commercial upside against corresponding legal, financial, operational, and reputational risk.
- Develop and scale efficient contract workflow for Gemini Trust Company and the broader Gemini group, including coordination of relevant internal stakeholders and external providers.
- Establish standard templates and negotiation matrices to support Gemini’s growing commercial contracting needs.
- Manage projects effectively and collaboratively.
- Build positive and influential relationships with Gemini Leadership and cross-functional partners, evangelizing the Legal team’s expertise and services across the company.
- Collaborate with and support the General Counsel and the rest of the Legal team to evaluate and communicate legal risks to internal stakeholders and external parties.
- JD degree
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant legal experience at a law firm or in-house
- Fluency in English
- Strong knowledge of and interest in disruptive technology, financial services, or security; prior experience working in fintech, digital assets or high-growth tech companies a plus.
- Proven ability to proactively, efficiently, and accurately assess legal business risks in a fast-paced environment.
- Track record of creative problem-solving, excellent written and oral communication skills, and creation of strong and trusted cross-functional relationships.
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive Compensation and Profit-Sharing Equity
- Flexible vacation policy
- Retirement Plan Matching
- Generous Parental leave
- Comprehensive health plans
- Training and professional development
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.