Senior Corporate Counsel, Intellectual Property at Gemini
Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
The Department: Legal
The Legal department at Gemini is making history every day, as we creatively apply the legacy of law to the future of digital assets. On this team, you will tackle complex and unprecedented applications of the current legal system to the revolutionary industry of cryptocurrency and blockchain technology. At Gemini, Legal plays a critical role in guiding innovation and driving value for the business, while upholding our core tenets of security, compliance, and trust for our customers. Join us and help define the Legal Department of the Future.
The Role:Senior Corporate Counsel, Intellectual Property
As Senior IP Counsel at Gemini, you are the ultimate subject matter expert when it comes to identifying, evaluating, and managing intellectual property and related product issues in a rapid growth environment. Leveraging both breadth and depth of experience at a law firm and/or as in-house counsel, you will help Gemini safeguard its intellectual property while developing and launching innovative new products in a disruptive emerging asset class. By navigating unprecedented legal complexities across Marketing, Product, Technology and Security, you’ll play a critical role in building and protecting our business at the forefront of the future of money.
- Oversee and evangelize Gemini’s global IP strategy, including with respect to patents, trademarks, trade secrets and copyright.
- Engage collaboratively with cross-functional teams to understand and protect Gemini’s cutting-edge products and technologies, including market-leading non-fungible digital art platform Nifty Gateway.
- Design and implement company-wide invention incentive and IP education programs.
- Effectively manage outside IP counsel to prepare and prosecute patent applications.
- Perform IP due diligence and advise on IP risks in M&A and other commercial transactions.
- Provide technical and strategic support for adversarial proceedings related to IP claims or issues.
- Build positive and influential relationships with Gemini Leadership and cross-functional partners, evangelizing the Legal team’s expertise and services across the company.
- Collaborate with and support the Chief Legal Officer and the rest of the Legal team to evaluate and communicate intellectual property risks to internal stakeholders and external parties.
- JD degree, admitted to any state bar
- Registered to practice before the USPTO
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant legal experience at a law firm or in-house
- Fluency in English
- Experience with corporate structuring and intercompany licensing from an IP perspective.
- Strong knowledge of and interest in disruptive technology, financial services, or security; prior experience working in fintech, digital assets or high-growth tech companies a plus.
- Proven ability to proactively, efficiently, and accurately assess legal business risks in a fast-paced environment.
- Track record of creative problem-solving, excellent written and oral communication skills, and creation of strong and trusted cross-functional relationships.
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive Compensation and Profit-Sharing Equity
- Flexible vacation policy
- Retirement Plan Matching
- Generous Parental leave
- Comprehensive health plans
- Training and professional development
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.