Senior Corporate Counsel at Gemini
Help us Build the Future of Money
Gemini Trust Company, LLC (Gemini) is a licensed digital asset exchange and custodian. We built the Gemini platform so customers can buy, sell, and store digital assets (e.g., Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Zcash) in a regulated, secure, and compliant manner.
Digital assets and blockchain technology have the power to transform the world for good. This truth, along with our core values, form the bedrock of our company and culture. At Gemini, no job is too small and no project too big as we endeavor to build the future of money. We are a mission-driven, team-based, inclusive, and determined community of thought leaders who invest in each other and the long game. Join us in our mission!
The Department: Legal
The Legal department at Gemini is making history, paving the way when it comes to applying the legacy of law to the future of digital assets. On this team, we tackle complex and unprecedented applications of the current legal system to the revolutionary industry of cryptocurrency and blockchain technology. At Gemini, Legal plays a critical role in guiding innovation and driving value for the business, while upholding our core tenets of security, compliance, and trust for our customers. Join us and help define the Legal Department of the Future.
The Role: Senior Corporate Counsel
As Senior Corporate Counsel at Gemini, you are the ultimate general athlete. Leveraging both breadth and depth of experience at a law firm and/or as in-house counsel, you will help Gemini build a nimble, innovative legal organization tasked with tackling complex legal challenges within a disruptive emerging asset class. By navigating unprecedented legal complexities across Engineering, Business Development, Security, Marketing & Communications, and People Operations, you’ll play a critical role in defining our business at the forefront of the future of money as a licensed digital asset exchange and custodian.
- Creatively advise engineering, product, compliance, and other business teams on a variety of legal topics, including privacy, financial products and markets, consumer protection, marketing, intellectual property security and the general legal framework for developer ecosystems and consumer-facing platforms.
- Draft and negotiate contracts relating to exchange and custodian services, as well as advise on unprecedented compliance and regulatory issues.
- Build positive and influential relationships with Leadership, product teams, and client-facing teams, evangelizing the Legal team’s services across the company.
- Handle corporate governance matters and manage processes, policies, and formalities associated with Gemini’s status as a regulated trust company.
- Collaborate with and support the General Counsel and the rest of the Legal team to evaluate and communicate legal risks to internal stakeholders and external parties.
- Expertise under the Securities Act, Exchange Act, Commodities Exchange Act, Investment Advisers Act, and/or Investment Company Act, including SEC and FINRA broker-dealer rules and CFTC rules governing derivatives; experience with lending and/or insurance products ideal.
- Prior relationships with relevant regulators at the NY DFS, SEC, CFTC, and other relevant agencies.
- JD degree
- 7+ years of relevant legal experience at a law firm or in-house
- Fluency in English
- Strong knowledge of and interest in disruptive technology, financial services, or security; prior experience working in fintech or advancements in digital payments a plus.
- Proven ability to proactively, efficiently, and accurately assess legal business risks in a fast-paced environment.
- Track record of creative problem-solving, excellent written and oral communication skills, and creation of strong and trusted cross-functional relationships.
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive base salaries across all departments
- Ownership in the company via profit sharing units
- Amazing benefits, 401k match contribution, and flexible hours
- Snacks, Perks, Wellness Outings & Events
Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.