Senior Corporate Counsel at OwnBackup
Data loss can be devastating. Whether it’s caused by human error, bad code, rogue integrations, or malicious intent; all companies are at risk. OwnBackup is the #1 data backup, archiving, and sandbox seeding app on the Salesforce AppExchange. With over 2,000 customers, we are ranked #25 on Financial Times’ list of America’s fastest growing companies, and have raised $100 million in venture funding.
As Senior Corporate Counsel, you will be the second lawyer at OwnBackup, the 25th fastest-growing company in the Americas. Reporting to the General Counsel, you will primarily be responsible for negotiating and drafting commercial contracts in support of our EMEA and American business, and for leading our global privacy program. You will also handle other day to day legal issues facing the company, in such areas as employment, litigation, intellectual property, and corporate law. You will help design and implement policies and processes to build and scale the legal and privacy functions of a fast- moving cloud startup.Your Day-to-Day Role
- Review, draft, and negotiate a wide variety of commercial agreements, including SaaS, vendor and data processing agreements
- Have primary responsibility for supporting sales activities in Europe, the Middle East and Africa (using outside counsel as needed) and shared responsibility for supporting other regions
- Lead the company’s privacy program, including drafting and enhancing policy and process documentation, building and monitoring compliance processes, acting as an expert resource on privacy matters, and interacting with key internal and external stakeholders on privacy issues
- Prepare and enhance company policies and procedures
- Provide legal support to other internal teams, including HR, IT, Marketing, Finance and Product teams
- Research and advise on new and emerging legal issues
- Juris Doctor from an accredited U.S. law school, and a license to practice law in at least one U.S. jurisdiction
- Minimum 5 years of experience practicing law at a law firm and in-house at technology company handling technology- related issues.
- Substantial experience drafting and negotiating enterprise SaaS/ cloud agreements (experience with European clients/customers a plus)
- Substantial experience handling data privacy compliance for one or more companies (CIPP or other privacy certification a plus)
- Business judgment and ability to assess legal risk while providing practical advice
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage deadlines in a fast-paced and demanding work environment
- Desire to pitch in and help where needed in a fast-growing startup
This is a full-time position with an opportunity to be remote for the right candidate supporting OwnBackup's US east coast market.