Senior Counsel, Financial Crime Advisory at Gemini
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice — our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
Select roles that are location-specific will still be eligible for flexible schedules.
Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
The Department: Compliance
Compliance at Gemini is a team dedicated to managing the next generation of financial and regulatory compliance in a complex and evolving regulatory environment. We are a diverse group of technology, legal, and operational professionals who develop new approaches to solving classic problems using cutting edge tools and processes
The Role: Senior Counsel, Financial Crime Advisory
As Financial Crime Advisory Counsel, you are the ultimate writer and negotiator. Leveraging both breadth and depth of experience at a law firm and/or as in-house counsel, you will provide advisory support to the Compliance team by evaluating, researching, drafting and strategizing in all aspects of financial crime prevention disciplines. You will be responsible for the global coverage of legal and regulatory matters pertaining to AML, sanctions, and anti-bribery and corruption issues. The position requires a highly experienced attorney who is an expert in his/her field and will provide strategic legal advice on high risk matters and global initiatives.
- Provide timely legal advice and assistance to Financial Crimes Compliance, risk and business partners on matters related to the USA PATRIOT Act, Bank Secrecy Act, OFAC regulations and other sanctions regimes, U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), UK Bribery Act, the European anti-money laundering directives (AMLD) and other global equivalents;
- Review, interpret and advise on relevant laws and industry best practices pertaining to sanctions, anti-bribery and corruption, and AML;
- Review and advise on sanctions, AML and anti-corruption language in contracts, attestation letters and reliance letters;
- Assist in sanctions compliance efforts by responding to any OFAC administrative subpoenas or other global equivalents;
- Support the Gemini’s Compliance program;
- Advise with respect to select special projects arising from the administration of the global AML program;
- Escalate to senior management to ensure they are kept abreast of all matters of moderate to high, or else increasing, legal and regulatory risk;
- Assist with responses to any global regulatory exams and other relevant inquiries;
- Advise on advocacy in connection with contemplated and proposed laws, rules and regulations; and
- Knowledge-share within the legal team
- Minimum of 10 years of prior relevant work experience in the areas of anti-money laundering, economic sanctions, anti-corruption and related areas preferably in the legal department of a corporation; prior law firm experience is a plus
- Proven leadership capability and change agility are essential
- Experience working for or with an international company is preferred
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are important as is a knowledge of issues impacting the financial services and cryptocurrency industries
- Ability to function as a trusted advisor to control functions
- Attorney must be licensed to practice law and be in good standing
- Strong knowledge of and interest in disruptive technology, financial services, or security; prior experience working in fintech, or advancements in digital assets or high-growth tech companies payments a plus.
- Proven ability to proactively, efficiently, and accurately assess risks in a fast-paced environment.
- Track record of creative problem-solving, excellent written and oral communication skills, and creation of strong and trusted cross-functional relationships.
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive Compensation and Profit-Sharing Equity
- Flexible vacation policy
- Retirement Plan Matching
- Generous Parental leave
- Comprehensive health plans
- Training and professional development
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.