About the Team
The legal team at Harry’s works cross-functionally and across geographies to address all of the legal issues facing Harry’s, providing advice and assistance to the entire company and supporting Harry’s various corporate, commercial and transactional initiatives.
About the Role
Harry’s is seeking a talented attorney to join its legal team as Senior Counsel - IP. The successful candidate will be based in Harry’s headquarters in New York City. You will have responsibility for all of the company’s intellectual property matters across all of our brands, reporting to our General Counsel. You’ll work closely with the R&D team in developing and implementing our IP strategies as the company develops new products, services and technologies, and you will have frequent contact with our external IP advisors. It is expected that most of your time will be spent on patent-related and trademark-related matters. The ideal candidate will have the ability to operate independently in a fast-paced environment and work proactively with various teams across the organization. This is a great opportunity to join a growing legal team and work on cutting-edge issues in an exciting, fast-paced environment.
What You Will Accomplish
- Shape and execute Harry’s IP strategy in light of Harry’s strategic and competitive position
- Work with the R&D team to identify and protect patentable products, services and technologies
- Oversee, on a worldwide basis, the preparation, filing, prosecution, maintenance and/or protection of Harry’s patents, trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets
- Evaluate the patent and trademark portfolios of Harry’s competitors
- Assist, as appropriate, on IP clearances and other opinions
- Manage all IP-related disputes and litigation activities
- Advise on IP-related matters in connection with commercial and other transactions
- Manage and provide counseling on trade secret and confidentiality-related matters
- Train and educate R&D and other teams in IP matters
Experience and Qualifications
- 4 to 6 years as a practicing patent lawyer focusing on issues related to product design and engineering; if an in-house lawyer, law firm experience working on high-level patent issues early in career is preferred
- Law degree from a well-regarded American law school and a member of the bar in the U.S. (although it is not necessary to be admitted to practice in any specific state); admittance to practice in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office preferred
- An undergraduate degree in engineering or science
- Experience partnering with and supporting fast-paced (internal and/or external) clients
- Strong organizational skills to prioritize and manage multiple time-sensitive projects simultaneously without substantial oversight
- Ability to provide sound and practical advice on trademark and other non-patent IP matters
- Excellent interpersonal and written and oral communication skills
This Should Describe You
- You have outstanding legal technical skills
- You admit when you don’t know the answer and work hard to get it; you love to learn new things
- You are adept at developing innovative solutions to complicated legal problems
- You succeed by building strong working relationships with colleagues across levels, functions and teams, and you always think about how to help them excel
- You are capable of owning projects from start to finish with minimal oversight and managing multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- You thrive on direct, honest and supportive communication
Harry’s Inc. started in 2013 with simple, fairly priced products that delivered an amazing experience to guys every day. Since then, Harry’s expanded to the UK, developed relationships with retailers such as Target and Walmart, expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, and launched a women’s brand called Flamingo.
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, and logistics specialists, Harry’s team is comprised of some of the most brilliant, diverse, and humble people you’ll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion and innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, and backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 3 or 300, our core values and our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement and learning, teamwork and collaboration, creative problem solving, and open and direct dialogue and feedback. Come for the coffee and free products, stay for the amazing, passionate culture.
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together.
Harry’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals. We recruit, hire and promote into all job levels the most qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), parental status, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, marital, family or partnership status, political affiliation or activities, military service, domestic violence victim status, arrest/conviction record, sexual or reproductive health decisions, caregiver status, credit history immigration status, unemployment status, traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hairstyles or any other status protected under applicable federal, state and local laws. Harry’s commitment to providing equal employment opportunities extends to all aspects of employment, including job assignment, compensation, discipline and access to benefits and training.
We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.