BetterCloud is the first SaaS Operations Management platform, empowering IT to define, remediate, and enforce management and security policies for SaaS applications. Over 2,500 customers in 60+ countries rely on BetterCloud for continuous event monitoring, quickly remediating threats, and fully automating policy enforcement. BetterCloud is headquartered in NYC with offices in ATL and SF.
We’re looking for a Senior Counsel that is a pragmatic and effective business and technology lawyer and wants to have some fun while tackling challenging - but rewarding - legal questions. Do you like to work in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment? Are you a problem solver that can explain complicated concepts in a simple way? Do you want to practice law at a high growth successful start-up? Do you have broad experience with SaaS contracts and privacy law? Do you love (or at least don’t hate J) redlining and negotiating contracts? Do you like cookies? If so, joining BetterCloud’s small but mighty Legal team might be the perfect fit for you!
In this role you will report directly to the VP of Legal Affairs and you will get to manage our year-round legal interns. You will be the main legal partner for our sales and customer success teams and be responsible for assisting the security team with our privacy and cybersecurity compliance. You will also assist the VP of Legal Affairs with all strategic initiatives.
BetterCloud is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and vets.
- Provide legal support to our sales and customer success teams on a broad range of commercial agreements - including NDAs, MSAs, DPAs and BAAs - in support of new sales and renewals.
- Provide end-to-end contract support (i.e., advising, drafting, negotiating and readying for execution) for customer and vendor transactions.
- Develop training materials and train the sales, customer success and support teams in all things related to contracts.
- Create and implement scalable and safe processes, templates and/or playbooks to help the sales team expedite contract review and negotiation.
- Partner with the security team to ensure ongoing compliance with GDPR and other privacy laws and readiness for CCPA.
- Assist the product and engineer teams to ensure new products and features are privacy-compliant (Privacy By Design).
- Partner with the VP of Legal Affairs on the legal issues related to the strategic projects of the company.
- Support our partners and channel teams negotiating key relationships with resellers and strategic partners.
- Support our people ops. team with employment issues.
- Research and remain up-to-date on new and emerging employment, privacy, cybersecurity and tech laws.
- Apply innovative problem-solving skills and practical business judgment to minimize legal, compliance and regulatory risks for BetterCloud.
- JD or LL.M from accredited Law School.
- Member of the New York Bar (in good standing).
- 5 to 8 years of relevant experience (ideally combined between a highly-regarded law firm and an in-house legal department in a technology company).
- Experience negotiating SaaS contracts.
- Strong knowledge of GDPR and other data privacy and security laws.
- Attention to detail, detail and more detail.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, flexibility and responsiveness.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and manage time effectively.
- Strong core corporate/transactional legal experience.
- Ability to effectively create and implement new and scalable processes.
- Ability to work independently while having good judgment to escalate significant matters.
- Pragmatic mindset towards protecting the company from risk while enabling fast paced growth and innovation.
It’s a plus if you have:
- Worked at a B2B software start-up.
- Experience with employment and intellectual property law.
- Implemented or used contract management software.
- Experience negotiating distribution channels through resellers.
- Experience drafting Board resolutions, consents and minutes.
What we offer:
- Career Growth with VP, Legal Affairs
- Competitive Salary
- Stock Options