About the Role
DoorDash is seeking a talented Senior Employment Counsel with deep experience handling a range of labor and employment related matters to join our dynamic team. As the team’s second employment counsel, you will assist with all employment and labor related legal matters, including advising on labor matters, policy and procedures, wage and hour and classification matters, employee relations matters and employment litigation. You will also advise and assist with policies relating to employee benefits, safety and procedure. Candidates should have a strong attention to detail, be execution oriented, have strong business acumen, superior analytical and writing skills, and should be enthusiastic, well organized, and a team player. Strong interpersonal and communication skills, the ability to operate in a fast-paced environment, and a healthy dose of humor and humility are also essential. This position will report directly to the AGC of Global Employment and can be based in San Francisco, New York, Phoenix, or, for the right candidate, remotely.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will…
- Provide in-house legal counsel on labor and employment related matters, which may include, but not limited to, human resources issues, wage and hour law, workers’ compensation, unemployment and other state agency claims, labor relations, employee benefits, employment agreements and policy related issues, FMLA matters, employment related litigation and generally assists the AGC of Employment and Human Resources Department.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and policies.
- Participate in and influence the decision-making process with appropriate clients and stakeholders
- Identify and assess legal risks and opportunities within the labor and employment area and advise accordingly.
- Independently handle legal matters and projects ranging from basic to complex.
- Recognize when to elevate certain matters to the attention of the legal leadership.
- Supervise, manage and evaluate outside counsel on employment related matters including litigation.
- Educate clients and stakeholders on legal matters, policies and procedures.
- Establish and maintain relationships, credibility and trust with clients, stakeholders, legal team members and other colleagues.
- Able to travel at times (when safe to do so under COVID).
We’re excited about you because…
- You have great communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills within and across departments and externally; and you’re proactive in providing counsel to clients.
- You exhibit sound judgment; you’re able to clearly make reasoned recommendations; and you’re able to cross think and determine who should be kept informed.
- You can juggle conflicting asks and manage a heavy workload; and you thrive in a high-pressure environment.
- You’re a self-starter with good business sense and a sense of urgency, honesty and fairness; and you have impeccable ethical standards.
- You’re a team player, and are calm under pressure.
- You build trust and inspire confidence from clients.
- Must have a JD degree from an accredited law school.
- Must have a minimum of eight years of substantive labor and employment experience with a corporate legal department or a nationally recognized law firm.
- Must have experience in counseling clients on labor and employment matters.
- Prefer candidate licensed in CA.
- Prefer candidate with experience in handling labor and employment matters before federal, state courts and administrative agencies.
- Knowledge of Canadian and/or Australian labor and employment law would be a plus.
- We are leaders - Leadership is not limited to our management team. It’s something everyone at DoorDash embraces and embodies.
- We are doers - We believe the only way to predict the future is to build it. Creating solutions that will lead our company and our industry is what we do -- on every project, every day.
- We are learning - We’re not afraid to dig in and uncover the truth, even if it’s scary or inconvenient. Everyone here is continually learning on the job, no matter if we’ve been in a role for one year or one minute.
- We are customer obsessed - Our mission is to grow and empower local economies. We are committed to our customers, merchants, and dashers and believe in connecting people with possibility.
- We are all DoorDash - The magic of DoorDash is our people, together making our inspiring goals attainable and driving us to greater heights.
- We offer great compensation packages and comprehensive health benefits.
DoorDash is a technology company that connects customers with their favorite local and national businesses in over 4,000 cities and all 50 states across the United States and Canada. Founded in 2013, DoorDash empowers merchants to grow their businesses by offering on-demand delivery, data-driven insights, and better in-store efficiency, providing delightful experiences from door to door. By building the last-mile delivery infrastructure for local cities, DoorDash is bringing communities closer, one doorstep at a time. Read more on the DoorDash blog or at www.doordash.com.Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of the best and brightest from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.