Senior Legal Counsel
Stash is a digital-first financial services company committed to making saving and investing accessible to everyone. By breaking down barriers and building transparent, technology-driven products, we help the 99% build smarter financial habits so they can confidently save more, grow wealth, and enjoy life.
Stash is seeking an experienced and innovative Senior Legal Counsel to join our fast growing Legal team. We’re looking for a business-minded and highly-motivated attorney with at least six years of experience (prior in-house or start-up experience is a plus but not required) and who, above all else, is a team player. Your advice, attention to detail, and creativity will help shape the legal, commercial, and business strategy for one of the fastest growing fintech companies in the country.
What you'll do:
- Provide business-oriented and practical legal advice to teams from Marketing, Business Development, Product, Finance, and other clients on legal issues and risks, complex agreement structures, company policies and procedures, and business strategy
- Negotiate, draft and provide advice on complex commercial agreements relating to all aspects of Stash’s business, including all client account agreements
- Serve as the primary legal adviser for marketing campaigns (including marketing affiliate and solicitor campaigns, promotions, and sweepstakes)
- Identify and advise on new and changing laws and regulations that affect operations, new product development, and compliance obligations
- Assist with regulatory inquiries, customer disputes, and litigation matters
- Interface with outside law firms and advisors
- Complete special projects as needed and other duties assigned
What we're looking for:
- JD and licensed to practice in New York, or the ability to apply for New York's in-house counsel exemption
- Minimum 6 years of experience at a top-tier law firm or in-house legal department
- Experience in consumer financial services (both federal and state law), in particular with new product development
- Experience reviewing, negotiating, and drafting complex commercial contracts and other legal documents
- A team player who is willing to assist at any level of legal work that is needed to be done
- Ability to work autonomously - identify and analyze legal issues, draft key documents, present clear recommendations, and assure legal compliance with minimal oversight
- Exceptional organizational skills, a keen attention to detail, and the ability to manage competing projects under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and an ability to convey complex legal advice to business people
- A desire to learn and master new areas of law
- Understanding of privacy, cybersecurity and data protection laws and regulations (e.g., Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act, California Consumer Privacy Act, and state data breach notification laws)
- Experience with, and an understanding of, laws and regulations relating to registered investment advisers and broker-dealers (e.g., Investment Advisers Act of 1940, Securities Exchange Act of 1934, and FINRA rules)
We believe that diversity and inclusion are essential to living our values, promoting innovation, and building the best products out there. Our success is directly related to the employees that we hire, grow and retain and we believe that our team should reflect the diversity of the customers that we serve.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Stash is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by law. Everyone is encouraged to apply.
Benefits, Perks, & More!:
* Equity In Stash * Flexible Vacation
* Four Family-Friendly Medical Plans * Two Dental & One Vision Insurance Plan
* 401k * Learning & Development Stipend
* Commuter Benefits * Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
* Employee Referral Bonuses * Stocked Fridges & Kitchens
* Thursday Happy Hours * Catered Lunch on Fridays
* Team outings that do not involve trust falls...
Awards & Recognition:
- Built in NYC's Best Places to work in 2019
- Built in NYC’s Startups to Watch in 2018
- Wall Street Journal's "Top 25 Tech Companies To Watch" in 2018
- MarCom Awards 2018 Double Gold & Platinum Winner
- 2017 Webby Award Winner for Best Mobile Sites & Apps in the Financial Services and Banking category
- 2017 W3 Awards Winner for Best User Experience
**No recruiters, please