Senior Underwriting Counsel at Spruce
| Greater NYC Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 7:00 a.m. (EST) on Monday, March 8, 2021
Spruce is the platform enabling modern real estate transactions. We work with forward thinking mortgage lenders, real estate companies and investors, and we believe the future of real estate will be driven by automation, efficiency and digital experiences, and we provide the products and services necessary to make that happen.
About the job
Spruce is looking for an experienced Senior Underwriting Counsel to join its growing Legal team. The ideal candidate will have significant experience in the title insurance industry and will thrive in a fast-paced startup environment. As a part of the Legal team, you will help to build a cutting edge platform that will define the future of real estate transactions. Your ability to apply your substantive knowledge of real property and title law and communicate effectively and efficiently with Real Estate Operations, Product, and Engineering teams will help Spruce achieve outstanding results for our clients and take us to the next level of growth as a company.
What you'll do
- Provide targeted, well-grounded counsel and support to the Real Estate Operations team as they work to fulfill client orders for title insurance and real estate settlement services
- Work with Product, Data Science, and Engineering teams to improve our software platform and enable faster, more efficient transactions
- Work with the General Counsel to research novel areas of the law, draft and negotiate client-facing agreements, and facilitate general corporate transactions
- Be a subject matter expert and resource to the entire company, training staff on your areas of expertise
- Develop written underwriting standards and guidelines as needed
- J.D. from nationally accredited law school; license to practice law in good standing
- 7-10+ years of underwriting counsel experience with a national title agency, including in-depth knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures of real estate title and settlement process as well as applicable federal and state statutes and regulations
- Entrepreneurial and proactive mindset; excited to build and work in a rapid-growth environment with minimal supervision
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, including comfort with web-based document platforms and instant messaging (e.g. Google Suite, Slack)
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize, multi-task and follow-up independently with stakeholders
- Pluses: previous startup experience, residence near New York City or Dallas
We are proud of the team we’re building. We're committed to equal opportunity employment -- and beyond. We believe diverse experiences and perspectives build a stronger team and a better product. We welcome fresh perspectives and challenge our own assumptions to make Spruce better. The more inclusive we are as a company, the better we can serve our customers.
Read Full Job Description