VP of Government Affairs and Public Policy at Peloton
ABOUT THE ROLE
Reporting directly to the Chief Legal Officer and company co-founder, the VP Government Relations will be responsible for leading the company’s government affairs, public policy, and advocacy agenda. As the first hire and leader, you'll be responsible for developing the function and strategy for the company across regions, product areas, and functions. You’ll combine creativity and intellectual rigor with the organizational skills to manage various campaigns, projects and initiatives. In this role, you’ll advocate for Peloton to bring external perspectives back into the company to inform our perception and direction. You will be required to organize, manage, and communicate about critical plans, initiatives, and strategy, contributing analytical and organizational skills, the ability to communicate effectively in person and writing, an aptitude for learning, an ability to develop and implement creative ideas, and the discipline to manage competing projects with tight deadlines. Additionally, you'll bring experience working with or in a corporate public policy team, government, or NGO as well as a demonstrated ability to grasp complex technical and policy issues. Peloton takes its responsibilities seriously, including engaging with government and other stakeholders on important public policy challenges. The Government Affairs and Public Policy (GAPP) function will lead the company’s engagement with executive branch officials, legislators, regulators and third-parties in the formation of public policy. Working closely with Peloton leaders, the GAPP function will seek to identify key policy issues, listen carefully to others’ views and opinions, and distill and share the company’s perspective on those issues with external stakeholders. Our issue areas are increasingly broad and encompass many areas where public policy, business, and technology intersect.
- Design and implement a government relations strategy that promotes company objectives through compelling public policy and advocacy in government and public arenas at the Federal and State level.
- Develop and lead public policy strategy for the company, coordinating with a cross-functional team to design Peloton’s policy positions and strategies to support our global business objectives and drive favorable policy and regulatory outcomes.
- Manage policy projects on a host of issues affecting the digital connected fitness ecosystem, including data privacy and security, content moderation, competition, and cross-industry relations.
- Work globally to develop public policy strategies and positions for Peloton’s products and services, including the creation of materials supporting advocacy on those positions.
- Engage with policymakers, industry players, and key opinion formers.
- Work closely with the Chief Executive Officer and senior management on strategic engagement before federal and state legislative and regulatory bodies, and other related constituencies.
- Partner with outside lobbyists and associations to advance and protect the company’s interests.
- Manage all Federal and state government affairs activities including coordinating and monitoring legislative initiatives as prioritized by business needs and attending all association meetings as appropriate.
- Collaborate and communicate with various teams across the enterprise on initiatives and issues that impact the organization, including product, communications, community engagement and sales, as well as trade associations.
- Evaluate pending legislation which may have impact on the company and develop and prepare timely recommendations and communications for senior management and key business leaders.
- Ensure alignment of all activities pertaining to government affairs, including the coordination and oversight for all internal and external messaging with local and state officials (in conjunction with Communications).
- Establish and maintain high-level contacts with a wide variety of industry and non-industry individuals and groups who can compel/promote public, community, and government actions favorable to the company.
- Work with various trade associations and public policy groups to identify priorities and develop positions that support the company’s business goals.
- Oversee the annual budget and allocate resources effectively.
- Monitor and track lobbying activities and contributions for reporting purposes.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 14 years of experience working on technology policy issues within corporations, government, think tanks, public interest groups or relevant industry associations.
- Prior experience working in a government affairs function within a consumer-facing, publicly traded company, as well as setting strategy and policy
- Experience within the manufacturing, technology and healthcare industry and familiarity with the surrounding policy environments.
- Experience at a technology company, NGO, or similar organization, handling technology policy issues with international implications.
- Familiarity of public policy issues associated with the health insurance industry.
- Ability to evaluate issues independently in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated experience advising product and engineering and/or manufacturing and operations teams.
- Team player with the ability to exercise good judgment in a rapidly changing and sometimes stressful environment.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills, with the ability to collaborate with multiple cross-functional teams simultaneously.
At Peloton, we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Peloton is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
Founded in 2012, Peloton is a global interactive fitness platform that brings the energy and benefits of studio-style workouts to the convenience and comfort of home. We use technology and design to bring our Members immersive content through the Peloton Bike, the Peloton Tread, and Peloton Digital, which provide comprehensive, socially-connected fitness offerings anytime, anywhere. We believe in taking risks and challenging the status quo by continuously innovating and improving. Our team is made up of passionate brand ambassadors, and we know that together, we go far.
Headquartered in New York City, with offices, warehouses and retail showrooms in the US, UK and Canada, Peloton is changing the way people get fit. Peloton has been named to many prestigious industry lists, including Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies, CNBC's Disruptor 50, Crain's New York Business' Tech25 and Fast50, as well as TIME's Genius Companies. Visit www.onepeloton.com/careers to learn more about joining our team.