Chief Marketing Officer
What you'll do day-to-day:
- Drive growth: We have built a powerful customer acquisition machine over the last few years, and you will work with the team to continue our aggressive growth. Side note: churn reduction is the best form of acquisition.
- Establish an iconic brand: We believe Skillshare can be a global brand and the clear market leader in online learning for creators.
- Set the course for the company: Our executive team is very collaborative, and we will work together day-in, day-out to set the long-term strategy and make the hard decisions of how to allocate resources and prioritize initiatives. You will also work directly with our investors and Board to help us navigate the many challenges and opportunities ahead.
- Lead, manage and develop a great marketing team: You inherit a strong team that is passionate about our business and the impact that we can have on the world.
What you'll need to be successful
- Passion and empathy for our users: We serve professional creatives, passionate amateurs and curious entrepreneurs. Your ability to see the world through their eyes will ensure our positioning and strategy meets their needs.
- Strong brand expertise: We see tremendous opportunity to further define and evolve Skillshare’s brand, and proven experience in consumer brand development will be essential
- The complete set of marketing skills: Your job can’t stop at brand or acquiition, as we will need the whole package to capture the opportunity in front of us: acquisition/performance marketing, content, social, communications, PR and more.
- Strategic mindset: We will have to make many hard decisions in the coming years, and will need you to help us see around the corners.
- Strong collaboration and teamwork: Nobody has all the answers, and we want an executive team that can work together to shore up our respective gaps and leverage our collective strengths. We need you to make us all better, and let us help you get better as well.
- Executive experience: This can't be your first rodeo. We want an experienced teammate that can push everyone on the exec team to get better.
Why you want this job:
- Impact: There aren’t many venture-backed startups with high growth rates, a strong platform and subscription-driven business model, AND a powerful social impact.
- Growth opportunity: We are already on a steep trajectory with greater than 100% growth, and as the company evaluates future product shifts, international growth, capital raising, M&A, organizational changes and more, you’ll have your hands on the wheel and learn a lot as we navigate it all as a team.
- Community: We have a large and uniquely passionate community of teachers and students -- 15% of our NPS comments contain the word “love”.
- Team: We have an amazing team that believes in Skillshare’s ability to change the world for the better. Our exec team is seasoned, collaborative and has a low tolerance for bullshit.
- Board and investors: We have one of the most supportive and low-drama boards around. We are very proud to be backed by Union Square Ventures, Amasia, Spero Ventures and Spark Capital, and their networks have paid big dividends for Skillshare.