Getting together with real people in real life makes powerful things happen. Side hustles become careers, ideas become movements, and chance encounters become lifelong connections. Meetup brings people together to create thriving communities. Show up. Change lives.
The Director of Communications will develop and execute a holistic communications strategy to help shape the public conversation about Meetup and contribute to our global brand success by elevating our company, our members, and our organizers. Reporting to the VP Brand & Community and working closely with our leadership team, you will have creative ideas about how to tell the Meetup story in new ways to new audiences. From leading Meetup's rapid response efforts and placing meaningful long-lead stories about our company's growth, to supporting Meetup executives at conferences and events, you will be a consummate team player with a can-do attitude and a passion for storytelling.
What you’ll get to do in this role:
- Develop proactive communications strategies to tell the Meetup story in a holistic way through all types of media
- Come to the table with creative ideas to increase awareness of Meetup, and follow through to bring the best ones to life
- Source data, stories, spokespeople as needed for pitches and stories – including finding, cultivating, and supporting top organizers who want to tell their story
- Manage day-to-day media relations and development of all press materials
- Lead responses to relevant news events in a timely and meaningful way, whether that means crafting a tweet, emailing members and organizers, pitching an op-ed, or all-of-the-above
- Tap into your relationships with journalists, continuing to nurture them while building and maintaining new relationships on Meetup’s behalf
- Guide international media outreach and serve as a trusted advisor to teammates around the globe
- Thoughtfully and strategically decide on the conferences where Meetup’s leaders should present and coordinate all aspects of their participation – from pitching the idea to helping prepare their presentations and amplifying their participation through various channels.
- Track and report on outcomes
What we're looking for:
- At least 7 years of communications experience and a track record of success elevating a brand in the public consciousness
- Impeccable written and verbal communication skills
- Someone who can find interesting, newsworthy angles in any situation
- A people person with a knack for building strong, meaningful relationships
- Experience working closely with executives and serving as a trusted advisor on communications matters
- Superb attention to detail
- The poster child for remaining cool, calm, and collected under pressure
- A background in tech/startups
If your experience fits some but not all of what’s listed, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our team is bold, supportive, and passionate about bringing people together in real life to create community for everyone. We care about moving fast, real world change and building diverse, dynamic teams. You in?