Communications Manager at Better.com
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $35 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
As our brand and business continues to grow, we are seeking to hire two media relations managers
to play vital roles in the company’s external communications efforts. Both hires will have ownership over pitching and placing stories, as well as supporting conference and awards initiatives for the company. This spread of operational and strategic responsibilities below will be divided between them and demands extensive knowledge of B2C, familiarity with top-tier business and finance publications, and exposure to various conferences and awards.Candidate must be high-energy with a strong work ethic and appetite to learn and grow.
Responsibilities will include:
- Developing creative story angles for pitching top-tier financial and business publications
- Pursue expert commentary and thought leadership opportunities pegged to relevant news, data and trends
- Maintain strong press relationships and represent the company externally
- Act as communications business partner to specific business verticals within the company
- Create an awards strategy and implement application strategy and best practices.
- Create and adapt communication plans to further elevate the company’s reputation.
- Create and maintain annual conference target list for unique speaking opportunities that further position the brand and elevate the brand (for execs across the company, ranging from c-suite to product and sales and tech)
- Write clear and concise press releases, media alerts, and pitches; prepare briefing docs and write talking points to prep executives for various speaking engagements and media opportunities
- Create and support a regular cadence of Better.com consumer press across all markets
- You enjoy the hustle and excitement that comes with seeing your stories come to life. You think strategically about the who, what, when, where and why of the stories you pitch so that you are always advancing the ball for the company’s day-to-day strategy and overarching vision.
- You’re a team player. You’re creative. You have a point of view and are always looking for ways to contribute, even if the task is not ultimately your responsibility.
- You’re able to cultivate and manage relationships with members of the media; established relationships with journalists at top-tier outlets a plus
- Your organization skills allow you to successfully multitask in a deadline-oriented environment.
- Excitement about joining a fast-growing startup
- Established relationships with journalists at top-tier business and financial outlets is a plus!
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Better.com is committed to paying NYC HQ salary bands, for all employees, regardless of where they are located and does not adjust salaries based on cost of living location. Our total rewards package consists of base salary, yearly cash bonus, equity and benefits. Additional employment-related benefits include:
- A $500 stipend to set up the WFH office of your dreams
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits—including medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust holistic wellbeing offerings where you can experience unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after only 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.