We are NYC based but remote friendly!
Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education and employment. Almost a decade later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of 100+ headquartered in SoHo, NYC. We’ve raised over $40m in venture capital funding from top investors including Union Square Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Y Combinator, and more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year and helps them lead better lives, join us!
The Codecademy team is looking for a Director of Brand Marketing to join our rapidly growing, fun and effective Marketing team. As the leader of Brand Marketing, you will be responsible for communicating our brand to everyone, everywhere. The north star for this function is to elevate awareness and brand sentiment, increase consideration of our products across all aspects of our business - both B2C and B2B. Developing unique selling propositions and differentiated positioning across our product portfolio.
As the leader of an important function, you will develop and execute strategic plans to deliver on the north star, develop relationships with external partners and key stakeholders across the company to gain support for your work. As a people manager, you will be responsible for motivating and developing a team.
The ideal candidate has a big imagination and the experience to transform dreams into reality, an endless supply of enthusiasm and drive, a stellar communicator, and an innate understanding and empathy for customers. Put simply you are someone who simply makes big things happen.
This position will report to The VP (head of) Marketing.WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Inform our strategic vision and plan for the company to illuminate what our Brand and Business could be
- Grow our potential customer base and total addressable market (TAM)
- Drive revenue via heightened brand awareness and consideration (top of funnel)
- Develop unique selling proposition and brand position across our product portfolio (B2C and B2B)
- Develop and execute quarterly brand marketing plans inspired by the vision and deeply connected to our strategy - great plans will be equally aspirational and pragmatic; they should be executable within the confines of our resources
- Develop ongoing brand marketing programs and partnerships, as well as temporary campaigns, with the former being most important
- Manage and mentor direct reports in Public Relations/Comms and Content Marketing (note: content marketing includes our Codecademy blog, organic social pages, and partnerships)
- Partner with other functions within Marketing, such as: Product Marketing, Marketing Analytics, CRM, Paid Marketing and Marketing Creative
- Partner with other internal functions beyond Marketing, such as: Curriculum, Product, Customer Support, Community, Design, Finance, Data Science, HR, and more
- Develop relationships with other brands, members of the press and influencer community, and other relevant organizations on the basis of mutually beneficial partnerships to deliver on our brand marketing objectives
- Work collaboratively with all partners to devise and execute ongoing launches and collaborations, across multiple channels, to bring the strategy to life
- Align brand messaging and content to target audiences and customer segments to drive our business objectives
- Conduct user research and rely on data to evaluate performance and develop insight driven recommendations
- Evolve our Codecademy brand; leveraging our mission, vision and brand pillars to shape brand position and sentiment
- Realize the ability to leverage effective content by partnering closely with Marketing Creative and external agencies
- Manage and drive customer experience/editorial calendar.
- Understand and communicate relevant societal and customer trends, maintain a pulse on the competitive landscape to elevate our marketing storytelling, realizing best practices that improve impact over time
- Set targets and measure the efficacy and efficiency of the work; working with Finance, Data Science and Marketing analytics
- A track record of effective, scalable brand programs and partnerships
- 10+ years marketing experience, at least 4 years dedicated brand marketing and experience working with growing brands (Tech, Subscription, and SAAS experience is a plus)
- Experience architecting and managing meaningful brand partnerships
- Experience leading, inspiring and developing a team
- Outstanding brand sensibilities and the ability to communicate them
- A knack for storytelling, compatible with the way people consume content today
- An ability to combine the power of ideas with the realities of the business world
- Enthusiastic team player with the flexibility to re-prioritize, multi-task and switch tasks fluidly
- Self-motivated and takes initiative with an innovative mindset to drive new ideas and think outside of the box as an entrepreneurial leader.
- Exceptionally organized with excellent attention to detail.
- Proactive and process-driven, with ability to think ahead to full scope of projects and deliver work on time and accurately.
- Outstanding communication and collaboration
- Past examples of how you have brought a amazing ideas to life that expanded brand awareness, sentiment and consideration
- A creative thinker who turns insight into actionable ideas that build the business
- Experience building Marketing Personas and target audiences
- Experience with research and insights (market, competitive, customer, etc.)
- Experience working with international expansion
- Experience in working with Agile is a plus
- Subscription marketing experience and managing toward customer acquisition
- Interest in coding or passion for empowering others through coding education is a plus
- B2C and B2B marketing experience
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of users with our product and in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- and works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds and beliefs are empowered to better their futures.#LI-Remote