Director of Brand, Partnerships & Events at theSkimm
theSkimm is a membership-based organization dedicated to helping female millennials live their smartest lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information and tools they need to make empowered choices across news, civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of women across the country. Join us!ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm marketing team is a small group of fast-moving, data-driven and creative thinkers who nurture and grow theSkimm brand and community, while driving membership and engagement across all platforms. The Director of Brand, Partnerships & Events is a unique role focused on the intersection of partnerships, campaigns, events and brand.
The Director of Brand, Partnerships & Events will report to the Vice President, Brand Marketing. In 2020, we’re gearing up to continue making an impact for millenial women and enabling them to live their smartest lives. We need a partner who will be responsible for leading the development and implementation of marketing activations across brand partnerships, campaigns and strategic initiatives. This role will also lead the efforts in creating and executing our events strategy – that means bringing the voice of theSkimm to IRL formats and supporting advertiser growth through event-based marketing strategies. The ideal candidate will be equal parts strategic and creative, have industry intel, enthusiasm, be proactive and meticulously organized and be willing to roll up his or her sleeves to get things done.
The Director will serve as a leader, mentor, collaborator and partner to one direct report -- the Marketing & Events Associate. He or she will work in close partnership with teams across theSkimm including the Marketing, Communications, Content, Sales, Business Development, Design, Strategy, Data, Product and more. This role has relationship-management and operational responsibilities and will often manage multiple, concurrent campaigns, events and partnerships while moving at a fast pace.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Lead brand partnerships strategy and execution for theSkimm
- Build, nurture and grow brand partnerships and relationships on behalf of theSkimm to align with our brand, audience, events and priority campaigns
- Drive and execute strategies and go-to-market plans for brand partnerships, campaigns and events, implementing them in close collaboration with Sales, Content, Communications and the broader marketing team
- Oversee and implement the holistic events program and all aspects of event production, inclusive of planning, budgeting, contract negotiation, execution and post-event reconciliation in partnership with the Events & Marketing Associate
- Manage both the Events & Marketing Associate, as well as agencies, vendors and partners
- Maintain continuous communication with key internal stakeholders for cross-functional alignment
- Track and analyze key partnership, campaign and marketing metrics and event performance with oversight of department budget and responsibility for reporting to ensure that all campaigns, partnerships and events are data driven
- Streamline event and campaign processes and operations by using tools to reduce costs and improve efficiencies
- 8+ years of full-time experience in marketing, partnerships and/or events working in high volume, fast-paced environments
- Managerial skills and a talent for nurturing and collaborating with team members and direct reports
- A finger on the pulse of the industry, intel into the competitive landscape, emerging trends and marquee events and brands
- Strong project management skills with experience executing marketing campaigns and events, in addition to exceptional organizational, budgetary and time management skills
- Ability to collaborate and work cross-functionally
- Client/relationship, partnership or sales experience
- Experience working with product and design team
- Passion for theSkimm's brand and products
- Ability to travel up to 20% of the time
- Willingness to work flexible hours as needed
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Competitive salary & equity packages alongside annual performance reviews aimed at rewarding and recognizing our diverse talents
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- MassMutual 401(k) program
- One Medical Membership
- Subsidized family planning and fertility benefits through Carrot Fertility
- Up to $400 in annual gym-membership reimbursement
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine and a pretty sweet roof deck
- Catered meals and drinks during our weekly "Sip’n Skimm" all-hands meeting and monthly "Skimm'e A Drink!" happy hour
- The opportunity to be part of a friendly, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter.
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY