Director - Internal Communications
With a seat at the table for key business units, the Corporate Communications team provides support from strategy to execution in communications, engagement, corporate relations and social media across the company, including the Office of the CEO, Ad Sales, Consumer Products, Discovery Digital Media, Domestic Distribution, Finance, Human Resources, Global Talent Management & Operations, Legal and more.
The director of internal communications plans and activates global internal campaigns and events designed to inform, engage and inspire Discovery’s workforce. S/he works with key client groups from networks to corporate departments to learn about key business priorities and makes recommendations about how best to share them with employees – and then artfully activates approved plans. The director looks for big and small opportunities to build Discovery’s corporate culture in creative and resourceful ways which could include: employee-generated videos, executive events, and much more. The director reports into the group vice president of employee engagement and is supported by a specialist.
1. Meets with key client groups regularly to understand business priorities.
2. Works with head of employee engagement to create internal strategy.
3. Manages crisis communications response as needed for global employee base.
4. Cultivates relationships with colleagues all over the globe to understand priorities, share information and best practices and help activate internal campaigns.
5. Drafts messages, scripts, invitations, signage, etc.
6. Produces internal videos (using iphone/imovie, etc.)
7. Oversees internal signage content and platform.
8. Manages departmental budget.
* 10+ years in communications for a large organization. Crisis communications experience required.
* Superb written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
* Highly organized. Ability to multi-task, work under pressure, respond quickly to requests and meet multiple deadlines.
* Customer service and people-oriented. Flexible team player. Proactive.
* Experience managing large projects as well as direct reports.
* Ability to focus on details, but also see the big picture.
* Creative abilities that range from desktop design to iphone/desktop video production, writing and beyond.
* Strong MS Office skills especially in PowerPoint.
* Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or related field.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
* Curious about using and incorporating new and emerging technologies.
* Formal design and/or video production training.
* Production and event management experience.