Director of Marketing (Community Growth and Engagement)
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm is looking for a Director of Marketing to grow and engage our community. Community is a cornerstone of our membership business, and we need a leader to think strategically about how to grow our community across all our products and platforms. You will lead a lean team to expand our existing community initiatives (such as our Skimm’bassador program), as well as create and execute new innovative programs to inspire our community and help grow our membership business.
You and your team are part of theSkimm’s marketing department. We are a diverse group of fast-moving and creative thinkers who are constantly finding new ways to evolve and scale our business, and we thrive on creating experiences our members and community will love.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Develop and execute a holistic strategy to grow, engage and monetize our community across our products and digital, social and event/experiential platforms
- Find new opportunities to activate, engage and evolve our Skimm’bassador program
- Create and execute new high impact community initiatives (both digital and IRL) to support our membership business
- Own key growth and engagement metrics for our community programs, and ensure they are in service of theSkimm’s overall membership and business goals
- Lead a team of specialists who are responsible for all community programming, moderation, marketing and engagement
- Work with sales and marketing teams to identify, create and execute monetization streams around community initiatives
- Work with our insights team to better understand our community members, their needs and motivations, and leverage these insights to inform our community strategy
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- 5+ years of experience building and scaling digital communities or membership programs
- Strategic mindset and solid understanding of how community can contribute to larger business and revenue objectives
- Excellent project management skills and the ability to work cross functionally
- Strong creative and copywriting skills
- Experience managing, retain and leading teams
- Passion for theSkimm's brand and products; a strong understanding of our target audience and a desire to understand our community segments, their needs and motivations
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Catered Friday lunches and monthly gatherings
- A vibrant office environment full of books, couches and a roof deck
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY