The Points Guy is the leading site devoted to helping its 4.0+ monthly million readers around the world maximize their travel and stay up to date on travel news. TPG is growing by leaps and bounds and is seeking new team members to join its existing staff of accomplished writers, editors, videographers, experiential marketers, social experts, analysts, and strategists.
As Editorial Director for The Points Guy, you will be responsible for running the newsroom, assigning, writing and editing news, columns and feature articles covering credit cards, airlines, hotels, loyalty programs, personal finance trends and general travel. We need someone who can identify timely topics and develop stories with original, on-brand angles--quickly (often same-day). The position also requires strong social media savvy to promote articles, smart writer contacts, and excellent judgment. Some travel required. You'll report directly to the SVP of Content. Yes, you must be based in New York.
About the Role:
- Identify points and miles-related stories and assigns or writes articles quickly - often within hours
- Manage a team of writers, freelance writers, editors and photographers
- Source photos, crop as needed, and add to Wordpress (our CMS)
- Fact check all stories before publishing
- Develop social media promotional copy for Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Liaise with PR agencies and press contacts as needed
- Attend editorial meetings and industry events
- Converse with team over Slack 24/7
- Measure and report traffic
- 3-5+ years experience as a full-time writer and editor (at least 3 years editing experience is required)
- Expert knowledge of travel/points/frequent-flyer programs/credit cards (a must)
- Ability to write, self-edit and publish a ~300-word news post in 30 minutes
- Superb attention to detail, even under deadline
- Familiarity with Adobe Omniture & Google Analytics (and/or Parsely)
- Strong sense of urgency, ability to manage details and projects while responding to changing priorities and feedback
- Familiarity with social media best practices (Facebook and Twitter)
- MS Word, Excel, Adobe Photoshop
- Sense of humor
- Love of travel
- Video savvy is a plus.
Why work at TPG?
- If you're looking to get in on the ground floor and gain leadership experience while making a meaningful impact at a growing company
- If you, like us, value the entrepreneurial spirit, collaborative innovation, and a healthy work-life balance
- If you're excited to have flexible PTO, free lunches, office dogs galore, and tons of unreal travel perks
- If you want to feel proud to work for a company that truly cares about corporate responsibility/social good and gives back to the international community through charitable action