Head of Communications at Cityblock Health
Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs—bringing better care to where it’s needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that “health is local” and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are, bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams and Virtual Care offerings.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we’ll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To close gaps in care and advance equity in the communities we serve, we have to start with making our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bringing together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels supported and included as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
About the Role:
The Head of Communications will increase Cityblock Health’s reach and coverage with external audiences and will improve employee engagement and experience by developing and executing an earned and owned media strategy and building out strategy and infrastructure to build stronger internal alignment of Cityblock’s business, goals, and values.
We’re looking for an experienced media professional, strategic thinker, and people leader with a demonstrated capacity for skillful management and multitasking, good political judgment, excellent communication and interpersonal skills, an understanding of complex and fast-growing organizations, and a commitment to the mission of providing comprehensive, quality healthcare for marginalized populations.
This role includes responsibilities across internal and external communications (earned and owned), and will include:
- Developing external communications strategy that includes reporter and influencer research, pitch development and outreach, management of media preparation for executive interviews, creation of press releases, and reporting and analytics related to media trends and coverage
- Developing our internal infrastructure and strategy for communications, aligning messaging that reflects our team’s values, diversity, and aspirations in a way that increases team engagement
- Creating thought leadership and narratives to expand Cityblock’s influence and drive greater market visibility and relevance, through a deep understanding of Cityblock’s past, present, and future growth story, and the intricacies of each Cityblock market
- Partner cross-functionally to develop and distribute internal communications strategies and materials regarding organizational growth, personnel changes (new hires, departures and promotions), and general informational content.
- Coaching executives and leaders throughout the organization to support proactive and reactive internal and external communications needs, determining essential messages and the right channels to deliver them
- Building and managing relationships with and engaging top-tier healthcare, business, financial, and technology media and relevant key journalists on corporate news and reputation pillars to identify placement opportunities for Cityblock
- Partnering with senior leaders and the People team to develop and drive employee engagement initiatives, and to measure engagement, monitor themes, and ensure messaging is resonating and supporting stronger engagement
- Engaging investors and analysts to articulate the strategy of and status of Cityblock’s progress, while serving as key point of contact to prepare senior leaders for investor relations meetings and events
- Directing Cityblock’s owned platform strategy, including our blog and social media platforms, including craft messaging for leadership communications (newsletters, all-hands meetings and social media) and company announcements
- Managing incoming media and event requests and making daily judgement calls on company communications and staff participation in external events
- Responding proactively to key cultural moments in equity-focused manner
- Quality assuring all internal communications for look, brand, tone and key messages
This role will report to the Chief Marketing Officer and work closely with Cityblock’s PR agency, People team, Growth team, and members of the marketing, creative, and communications teams, and Cityblock leaders.
Requirements for the Role:
- Communications leaders with 7+ years of experience leading communications strategy in a creative, high-growth business and technology environment
- A deep understanding of the startup-to-public technology company journey and culture, and the challenges of evolving a narrative to keep pace with that change
- Excellent communicator and collaborator who energizes teammates and serves as a brand ambassador
- Experience with crisis communications and change management, and ability to maintain calm under fire
- Existing healthcare media relationships and deep understanding of the healthcare space
- Experience leading earned media strategy
- Successful track record implementing strategic media plans and placing stories in key media outlets
- Business development mindset where communications directly contributes to business objectives
- Proficient with data analytics, media analysis, media monitoring tools, and other relevant statistical tools
- Exceptional writer and dynamic speaker with experience serving as spokesperson
- Team player who thrives in a collaborative and fast-paced environment
How We Define Success:
- Increase in Share of Voice and Brand Awareness
- Increased understanding from investors, analysts, and industry experts about Cityblock’s positioning relative to its peers
- Defined external communication processes and organizational planning
- Increased employee engagement and self-reported visibility and understanding of Cityblock priorities and values
- Increased retention rates of Cityblock employees, in aggregate, and with underrepresented subsegments
What We’d Like From You:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short cover letter, please!
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and the populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.