Manager, Research Oncology Publications
Flatiron Health is a healthcare technology and services company focused on accelerating cancer research and improving patient care. Our platform enables cancer researchers and care providers to learn from the experience of every patient. We believe that existing clinical research paradigms are ill-equipped to answer the research questions that face drug developers, academic researchers, and regulators in the oncology space today. By focusing on technology solutions that can be deployed widely across the Flatiron network of providers in both community and academic settings, Flatiron Health has the opportunity to generate insights that were previously impossible. We have active partnerships with top-tier academic medical centers, the top 15 oncology biopharma companies, the FDA, and the NCI, all focused on using data to accelerate the research and treatment of cancer.
Our Research Oncology team is looking for oncology medical/scientific writers who are looking to contribute their experience in a fast-paced, impassioned environment at a time of explosive company growth. This position requires excellent written and oral communication skills, collaborative spirit, a sophisticated understanding of oncology clinical and outcomes research, the ability to juggle multiple projects at once, and leadership skills.
As a Manager, Research Oncology Publications you will take ownership of writing and editing posters and manuscripts to support our research. You will collaborate with a team of research oncologists, biostatisticians, product managers, and engineers to translate new research findings at Flatiron into clear, compelling knowledge products ready for widespread dissemination. Candidates at this level will have deep understanding of medical writing and the oncology publications space. Additionally, they will be familiar with outcomes research and have a strong interested in real-world medical evidence.
- Closely partner with our Research Oncologists and Quantitative Scientists as part of cross-functional teams across Flatiron to communicate objectives and translate internal research into high-impact publications
- Use scientific/research expertise to support strong working collaborations with both internal and external experts to ensure quality data analysis, interpretation, and communication planning
- Maintain subject-area expertise for Flatiron by working with initiative teams to define questions and performing literature searches
- Ensure quality and timely execution of communications, which include manuscripts, abstracts, and posters for a variety of audiences and use
- Collaborate on development of publication plans related to ongoing and planned research projects
- Lead development of manuscript timelines in collaboration with key stakeholders, and coordinate cross-functional teams to ensure on-time delivery of manuscript drafts; this includes managing reviews, rewrites by the core manuscript team, centralized sign-off and submission
- Track and communicate progress and decisions clearly and regularly to internal and external stakeholders
- Proofread and format manuscripts, including references, for submission, external review, etc.
- Create clear and consistent documentation of processes and decisions
- Contribute to strategic development of the medical writing team, with an evolving structure to serve the team’s growth and the company’s objectives
- Collaborate with internal teams to develop a strategic communication plan and liaise with journals/editors to create publication opportunities to tell the Flatiron story
- More experienced medical writers will manage a portfolio of multiple publications in parallel and prioritize tasks across teams based on comprehensive judgement of trade-offs
- At least a Bachelor’s degree is required. Advanced degree such as MBA, MHA, MPH, MS, PhD or MD is a plus
- A minimum of 6 years of medical writing experience (e.g., academic, pharmaceutical/biotech company, or CRO)
- Can work independently to manage manuscript life cycle, which includes developing outlines, writing drafts, and resolving co-author inputs, escalating to key stakeholders as needed
- Demonstrated ability to lead strategically, drive performance, build alignment, inform, negotiate and collaborate
- Flexible, with positive attitude, strong ability to multi-task, prioritize projects effectively and communicate at all levels within the company
- Strong communication skills
- High-level familiarity with the drug development and regulatory approval processes
- Working knowledge of ICMJE/AMA/APA guidelines
- Superb project and publication management skills, and familiarity with publication processes
- Experience working on cross-functional teams
- Comfort with ambiguity and a willingness to teach and learn
- Strong interest in leveraging real-world evidence to advance personalized medicine
- Oncology experience
- Scientific/clinical research experience
- Experience working in a client service capacity with life science companies