We're looking for an oncology medical/scientific writer to help us accomplish our mission to improve lives by learning from the experience of every cancer patient. Here's what you need to know about the role, our team and why Flatiron Health is the right next step in your career.
What You'll Do
In this role, you'll work within the Medical and Scientific Writing team to take ownership of writing and editing scientific posters and manuscripts to support our research. Reporting to the Director of Publications, you'll collaborate with a team of research clinicians, quantitative scientists, product managers, and engineers to translate new research findings at Flatiron into clear, compelling knowledge products ready for widespread dissemination. In addition, you'll also:
- Closely partner with our Research Clinicians and Quantitative Scientists as part of cross-functional teams across Flatiron to communicate objectives and translate internal research into high-impact publications
- Use scientific/research expertise to support strong working collaborations with both internal and external experts to ensure quality data analysis, interpretation, and communication planning
- Maintain subject-area expertise for Flatiron by working with initiative teams to define questions and performing literature searches
- Ensure quality and timely execution of communications, which include manuscripts, abstracts, and posters for a variety of audiences and use
- Collaborate on development of publication plans related to ongoing and planned research projects
- Lead development of manuscript timelines in collaboration with key stakeholders, and coordinate cross-functional teams to ensure on-time delivery of manuscript drafts; this includes managing reviews, rewrites by the core manuscript team, centralized sign-off and submission
- Track and communicate progress and decisions clearly and regularly to internal and external stakeholders
- Proofread and format manuscripts, including references, for submission, external review, etc.
- Create clear and consistent documentation of processes and decisions
- Contribute to strategic development of the medical writing team, with an evolving structure to serve the team’s growth and the company’s objectives
- Collaborate with internal teams to develop a strategic communication plan and liaise with journals/editors to create publication opportunities to tell the Flatiron story
Who You Are
You're a medical writer with 6 years of experience working in academic, pharmaceutical/biotech or CRO companies. You're excited by the prospect of rolling up your sleeves to tackle meaningful problems each and every day. You’re a kind, passionate and collaborative problem-solver who seeks and gives candid feedback, and values the chance to make an important impact.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree
- You have a minimum of 6 years of medical writing experience (e.g., academic, pharmaceutical/biotech company, or CRO)
- You can work independently to manage manuscript life cycle, which includes developing outlines, writing drafts, and resolving co-author inputs, escalating to key stakeholders as needed
- You have a demonstrated ability to lead strategically, drive performance, build alignment, inform, negotiate and collaborate
- You are flexible, with positive attitude, strong ability to multi-task, prioritize projects effectively and communicate at all levels within the company
- You have strong communication skills
- You have a high-level familiarity with the drug development and regulatory approval processes
- You have a working knowledge of ICMJE/AMA/APA guidelines
- You have superb project and publication management skills, and familiarity with publication processes; you can can prioritize publication tasks across teams based on comprehensive judgement of trade-offs
- You have experience working on cross-functional teams
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and have a willingness to teach and learn
- You have a strong interest in leveraging real-world evidence to advance personalized medicine
If this sounds like you, you'll fit right in at Flatiron.
- You have an advanced degree such as MBA, MHA, MPH, MS, PhD or MD
- You have oncology experience
- You have scientific/clinical research experience
- You have experience working in a client service capacity with life science companies
Flatiron Health is a leading healthcare technology and services company focused on improving oncology patient care and accelerating cancer research. Our products connect community oncologists, academics, hospitals, life science researchers and regulators on a shared technology platform. For community oncology clinics, our OncoCloud product offers the most comprehensive suite of software and services in community oncology. We work with both community oncologists and life sciences customers to see how the billions of data points on cancer patients can generate meaningful real-world evidence, and also accelerate clinical trials. Flatiron believes that we can learn from the experience of every patient.
Why You Should Join Our Team
A career at Flatiron is a chance to work with everyone involved in the future of cancer care and research—all under one roof. Researchers, data scientists, designers, clinicians, technologists and many more all work together to improve cancer care and accelerate research.
At Flatiron, we strive to build and maintain an environment where employees from all backgrounds are valued, respected and have the opportunity to succeed. You'll also find a culture of continuous learning, broad and inclusive employee support offerings, and a commitment to supporting our team members in all aspects of their lives—at home, at work and everywhere in between. We offer:
- Flatiron University training curriculum which includes presentation skills, meeting mastery, coding languages and more
- Career coaching opportunities
- Hackathons for all employees (not just our engineers!)
- Professional development benefit for attending conferences, industry events and external courses
- Work/life autonomy via flexible work hours and flexible paid time off
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks for either parent)
- Back-up child care
- Flatiron-sponsored fitness classes
Flatiron Health is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.