Senior Director, Brand Marketing
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 75 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm’s marketing team is a small group of fast-moving and creative thinkers who thrive on contributing to the launch and development of products Skimm’rs love. As we grow and enter the next chapter of our story, we’re looking for a Senior Director of Brand Marketing to help lead the growth of theSkimm brand and our member engagement across all platforms. Your role is mission critical to the success of our business long term, and you’ll be a player-coach leading a small team-let within theSkimm’s larger marketing team. You’ll be responsible for driving audience development; community engagement; and the strategy, ideation, execution of brand marketing campaigns and initiatives at theSkimm.
This role is equal parts strategic, creative, and execution oriented. It requires someone who can leverage insights on our Skimm’rs, products, and market trends to build an innovative approach to messaging, creative, and tactics targeting Skimm’rs at key moments in their user journey. The Senior Director, Brand Marketing will be key in leading theSkimm's brand expansion in both audience and market. This role will run an integrated approach, in partnership with leaders across Consumer Marketing, Design, Product, Content, Insights, PR, Sales, and Social—coming together to drive key moments in the year, which ladder up to the greater brand vision and business goals.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Build out theSkimm's Brand Marketing department, which will include our community and audience development teams
- Own the execution of brand marketing campaigns from creative all the way through performance
- Lead the development of programs and positioning to measure the effectiveness of campaigns that build brand trust, brand favorability, and brand expansion
- Increase brand awareness in both existing and new markets
- Identify clear audience strategies to evolve and grow our customer base
- Create programs that drive customer growth, loyalty and increase brand trust
- Own stakeholder alignment around brand campaigns, project briefing, planning, budgeting, cross functional communication, and execution
- Have the highest standards for building theSkimm’s brand equity, brand awareness, and driving revenue
WHAT WILL SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- 8-10+ years of brand marketing experience
- 3+ years as a manager
- Experience building innovative brands and go to market campaigns
- Fluency in digital marketing, including a clear understanding of building brands and communities in digital channels, social media content, etc.
- Exceptional project management and presentation skills
- Experience working at hyper-growth, fast-paced organizations
- A love of theSkimm’s brand and respect of its audience
WHAT WE OFFER
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Competitive salary & equity packages alongside annual performance reviews aimed at rewarding and recognizing our diverse talents
- A flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- 'MassMutual' 401(k) program
- Free 'One Medical' Membership
- Subsidized family planning and fertility benefits through 'Carrot Fertility'
- Up to $400 in annual gym-membership reimbursement
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine and a pretty sweet roof deck
- Catered meals and drinks during our weekly "Sip’n Skimm" all-hands meeting and twice-monthly "Skimm'e A Drink!" happy hour
- The opportunity to be part of a friendly, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter.
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY