Founded in 2016, Better is a digital-first homeownership company whose services included mortgage, real estate, title, and homeowners insurance. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- From its founding in 2016 through 2020, Better funded $30.9B in home loans and provided over $7B in cumulative coverage through Better Cover and Better Settlement Services, the insurance divisions of Better
- Ranked #1 on LinkedIn’s Top Startups List for 2020 and 2021
- Ranked #2 on Fortune's Best Companies for Millenials 2021
- Fortune Best Workplaces for Women 2021
- People Magazine Companies that Care 2021
- Inc Magazine's Best Workplaces 2021
- Top Women Originators 2021
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- Better has raised over $400M in equity capital since inception
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better is a family of companies. Better Mortgage Corporation provides home loans; Better Real Estate, LLC provides real estate services; Better Cover, LLC provides homeowners insurance policies; and Better Settlement Services provides title insurance services.
A Better opportunity:
As our brand, business and employee base continue to grow, we are seeking a Senior Director of Internal Communications to work with our leadership to develop an internal communications strategy and build a team to preserve and advance our hard working, high performing culture and foster a productive, positive work environment so we can continue to deliver for our customers. This leader will have strong problem solving skills; EQ; executive presence; the ability to coach the senior most leaders of a dynamic, hypergrowth business; and a knack for developing communications that represent an executive’s voice while addressing the needs of an employee base. The best candidates will have extensive experience working in change management and culture building, and a keen understanding of how internal and external communications and narratives play off one another.
Responsibilities will include:
- Work with senior executives across Better’s business to develop a holistic internal communications approach that centers the employee, and our customers, in everything we do
- Act as a strategic thought partner who brings leaders together across functions to shape the future of Better’s business and help each division achieve their independent goals and meet their specific needs in concert with all the others
- Build and manage a team that meets the needs of Better’s of business across divisions, maintaining the authenticity of our culture and ouf focus on customer needs
- Showcase how our technology helps our customers have the best, most efficient homeownership experience possible
- Work with and advise senior leadership on the right forum, timing, and content to ensure employees are in the know, inspired and empowered to meet our goals
- This role is designated as ‘Flex Mode,’ and is not a fully remote position. The number of days in office will vary based on role requirements. As such, employees must be located within commuting distance of the office and provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
- You enjoy the hustle and excitement that comes with seeing your stories come to life.
- You think strategically about the who, what, when, where and why employees might need to know something so that you are always advancing the ball for the company’s day-to-day strategy and overarching vision
- You believe that communications drives employee engagement which in turn generates revenue, and you want to build a team with that in mind
- You are a strong leader and a team player. You’re creative. You have a point of view and are always looking for ways to contribute, even if the task is not ultimately your responsibility
- Experience building and managing internal communications teams
- You’re able to cultivate and manage relationships across the spectrum of an employee population: from the most junior associate all the way to the C suite
- Your organizational skills allow you to successfully multitask in a deadline-oriented environment
Job Req ID: JR101326
Better is requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated in order to go into the office. Our priority is first and foremost the safety of our employees and we require COVID-19 vaccination to help ensure their safety in the workplace. Please note that Better will offer a reasonable accommodation process for employees who are not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
California Consumer Privacy Rights Notice for Job Applicants
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Better is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants or prospective talent (together "job applicants") about the categories of personal information we collect about you and the purposes for which we will use this information. The notice contains disclosures required by the CCPA and applies only to personal information that is subject to the CCPA.