Senior Manager, Content Marketing at Codecademy
We are NYC based but remote friendly!
Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education and employment. Almost a decade later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of about 200 distributed through North America and headquartered in SoHo, NYC. We’ve raised over $87.5m in venture capital funding from top investors including Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Owl Ventures, Union Square Ventures, Y Combinator, and more.
As Senior Manager of Content Marketing at Codecademy you will play a vital role in helping us build Codecademy’s reputation as the most trusted brand and effective platform for learners from all backgrounds to master technical skills anywhere in the world, through content that educates and inspires.
To accomplish this, an editorial and marketing mindset with experience in lifecycle content marketing, content distribution, and customer journey mapping is vital, as is a clear understanding of the marketing funnel, experience designing experiments, and the ability to glean insight from data. Previous editorial experience is a plus.
The ideal candidate is a storyteller, collaborator, problem solver, and idea generator with a deep understanding of content marketing. This role reports to the Director of Brand and Integrated Marketing.WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Grow traffic to Codecademy.com and Codecademy membership via marketing content distributed through organic channels such as Public Relations, SEO, social and content publishing platforms
- Manage and build a team of in-house and freelance writers, editors, social, and content marketing managers as well as managing relationships with external resources and agencies
- Partner with other marketing functions, including Product Marketing, CRM/Email, Paid Marketing, and Public Relations, and Marketing Creative to provide content marketing support
- Partner cross-functionally with non-Marketing teams that are creating and contributing to content production, including Curriculum, Product, and Community
- Oversee and maintain an editorial calendar and strategy across the Codecademy blog, social media channels, and the Codecademy YouTube channel
- Develop plans that guide the production of content, offering a connected experience across customer segments, campaigns, and channels
- Actively manage the distribution of content, shaping the Codecademy brand, driving interest and traffic and ultimately acquiring new memberships
- Develop a framework to test and continuously improve performance through optimization, vetting new ideas and implementing scalable best practices
- Develop a measurement approach for content marketing to understand success, create optimization feedback loops and develop consumer insight
- Effectively communicate results and insights across stakeholders
- 6+ years of experience in content marketing and experience with organic channels, such as Public Relations, SEO, Social and/or Publishing
- Proven experience in developing world class written and video content that drives engagement and demand across digital channels
- Experience with leading and managing direct and cross-functional teams
- Ability to understand and embody the customer value proposition, find ways into it and express communication in ways both novel and meaningful
- A passion for content marketing, the ability to be creative and understand how to scale a creative idea is essential
- Strong creative sensibilities and a visual eye for design aesthetics, and content curation
- While creativity and instinct is important, these sensibilities must be coupled with a strong bias for action, an analytical mindset and an outcome based approach
- Ability to work closely with other areas of expertise, including integrated and product marketing, engineering, creative, finance and others
- Some understanding of SEO and keyword research, content discovery, and content technology
- Attention to detail, are extremely organized, and thrive on identifying and delivering results
- This role involves leadership, management, and execution — a great fit represents appreciating and understanding how to blend them for maximum impact
- Editorial background
- Experience working with international expansion
- Experience in working with Agile is a plus
- Subscription marketing experience and managing toward customer acquisition
- Interest in coding or passion for empowering others through coding education is a plus
- B2C and B2B marketing experience
- Experience working on podcasts
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of users with our product and in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- and works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds and beliefs are empowered to better their futures.