Senior Manager, Public Relations & Communications at Rent the Runway
About Rent the Runway:
Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by enabling women to rent, versus buy, clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. Rent the Runway has pioneered a new industry by transforming the traditional model of clothing consumption, making apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 700 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times.
About the Job:
Rent the Runway is looking for a dynamic, experienced, and self-motivated strategic communicator to manage public relations on behalf of the circular economy pioneer. As Senior Manager, PR & comms, you will be responsible for continuing to grow RTR’s brand awareness and reputation among consumer, fashion, business, and technology media.
You will partner with the Senior Director of Communications on the development of cross-functional communications strategies that garner earned media coverage, generate widespread consumer awareness, amplify RTR’s disruptor narrative and mitigate crises. You will manage brand-building activities including (but not limited to) media strategy development, editorial placement, relationship building with media, thought leadership activities, influencer relations, high profile events and product launches. You will also work cross functionally within the RTR Marketing organization to further inform the brand’s identity, overarching corporate narrative and partnership strategies.
You will have demonstrated success and expertise in disruptive and innovative consumer-focused technology, sustainable fashion, and/or lifestyle categories. This is a hands-on role where excellent organizational and time management skills are as essential as experience and network.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop and collaborate on public relations strategy to grow the Rent the Runway brand awareness among consumers & media.
- Create innovative PR strategies and campaigns that touch all types of media – consumer, fashion, technology and business press.
- Partner with all cross-functional departments (Fashion, Product & Technology, Brand Marketing) to develop PR plans in support of key company priorities.
- This could include: new designer launches, product launches, key occasions/holidays,
- Understand key business priorities and metrics in order to identify technology and business stories, and where to leverage RTR co-founder and CEO Jennifer Hyman
- Lead development of all RTR spokespeople, to position as experts in the e-commerce & fashion industries – evaluating all media opportunities, press appearances, speaking engagements, etc.
- Develop and implement key celebrity seeding & stylist seeding programs.
- Lead press-worthy consumer facing events to re-iterate brand positioning in eyes of media, including key industry events/activations.
- Liaise with key media contacts (broadcast producers, fashion editors, online outlets, and fashion correspondents) to secure key media placements.
- You have a BA or BS with a minimum of 6+ years experience in a public relations role (either in-house or at an agency).
- You have demonstrated success and expertise in disruptive and innovative consumer-focused technology, sustainable fashion, and/or lifestyle categories.
- You have strong media relationships with a proven track record of securing feature stories across all forms of media.
- You have strong time and project management skills with the ability to handle multiple and changing priorities.
- You are an aggressive and results-oriented media pitcher.
- You have excellent communication and presentation skills.
- You pay close attention to detail.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- You are a self-starter with the ability to work independently on projects from start to finish, while also being an excellent collaborator.
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed servicemember status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.