VP, Brand Marketing
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm’s marketing team is a small group of fast-moving and creative thinkers who thrive on contributing to the launch and development of products Skimm’rs love. As our company grows and enters the next chapter of our story, we are seeking a Vice President of Brand Marketing to help lead the growth of theSkimm brand and member engagement across all platforms. A newly created role, you will be mission critical to the success of the business long term and will be a player-coach leading a small team within theSkimm’s larger marketing team. In this role, you will be responsible for driving audience development, community engagement, and the strategy, ideation, execution of brand marketing campaigns and initiatives at theSkimm. This role will dual-report to co-CEO’s, Carly Zakin and Danielle Weisberg.
This role is equal parts strategic, creative, and execution oriented. It requires someone who can leverage insights on our Skimm’rs, products, and market trends to build an innovative approach to messaging, creative, and tactics targeting Skimm’rs at key moments in their user journey. You will be key in leading theSkimm's brand expansion in both audience and market. This role will run an integrated approach, in partnership with leaders across Consumer Marketing, Design, Product, Content, Insights, PR, Sales, and Social—coming together to drive key moments in the year, which ladder up to the greater brand vision and business goals.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Build out theSkimm's Brand Marketing department, which will include our community and audience development teams
- Own the execution of brand marketing campaigns from creative all the way through performance
- Lead the development of programs and positioning to measure the effectiveness of campaigns that build brand trust, brand favorability, and brand expansion
- Increase brand awareness in both existing and new markets
- Identify clear audience strategies to evolve and grow our customer base
- Create programs that drive customer growth, loyalty and increase brand trust
- Own stakeholder alignment around brand campaigns, project briefing, planning, budgeting, cross functional communication, and execution
- Have the highest standards for building theSkimm’s brand equity, brand awareness, and driving revenue
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
The successful candidate will be a passionate, creative and strategic leader with a track-record of building brands and communities through storytelling. You will have a deep understanding of how brand and digital marketing intersect to drive growth in high-growth environments and will be someone who builds strong partnerships across the industry and serves as an enabling force within the organization. You will demonstrate a bias toward action and be ready to roll up your sleeves to get the work done. You will have the flexibility and creativity of mindset to try different marketing approaches but can also pull from a track record of prior success.
- 8-10+ years of brand marketing experience
- 5+ years as a manager
- Experience building innovative brands and go to market campaigns
- The capacity to balance short-term needs with longer term vision
- Fluency in digital marketing, including a clear understanding of building brands and communities in digital channels, social media content, etc.
- Understanding of the interplay between brand and digital marketing and how to best leverage across channels
- Exceptional project management and presentation skills
- Experience working at hyper-growth, fast-paced organizations
- A love of theSkimm’s brand and respect of its audience
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Catered Friday lunches and monthly gatherings
- A vibrant office environment full of books, couches and a roof deck
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.