VP, Brand Marketing at theSkimm
theSkimm marketing team is a small group of fast-moving and creative thinkers who nurture and grow theSkimm brand and members engagement across all platforms. As the company continues to grow and advance our story, we have been diversifying our media products (podcasts, books, events, and more) and moving further into proprietary product development beyond media (software, products, and services). This is a unique community, content, and revenue driving role, all wrapped in our creative brand expression.
In this newly created Vice President role, you will be responsible for brand, community including Skimm’bassadors, product marketing, and go-to-market campaigns. This role is equal parts strategic, creative, and execution oriented. You will lead the strategy, ideation, and execution of marketing campaigns at theSkimm always through the lens of our high brand standards. It requires someone who can leverage insights on our Skimm’rs, products and market trends to build an innovative approach to messaging, campaign ideas, and tactics targeting Skimm’rs at key moments in their user journey. Above all, you are creative and can lead concepting and creative reviews.
You will be critical to the success of the business long term and will be a player-coach leading a nimble team in collaboration with our broader team, which includes: growth, audience development, performance marketing, social media, and insights. This role will run an integrated approach, in partnership with leaders across the company, to drive key moments in the year, which ladder up to the greater brand vision and business goals. This role will report into the Chief Marketing Officer.WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Create programs that drive customer growth, loyalty and increase brand trust
- Manage the brand and marketing strategy, messaging, and go-to-market planning
- Lead the evolution of our community, Skimm’bassadors, squad and event strategy and implementation
- Lead product marketing (e.g. positioning, messaging, value propositions) for media / event and new software products
- Build out theSkimm’s Marketing function, including processes, tools and team
- Manage the team executing go-to-market campaigns for new products, on-going campaigns, and larger brand showcases
- Own stakeholder alignment around brand campaigns, project briefing, planning, budgeting, cross functional communication, and execution
- Success metrics will tie to quarterly and annual priorities aligned with: key brand metrics (awareness, relevance, favorability), acquisition, loyalty, and revenue
We’re looking for a passionate, creative and strategic leader with a track-record of building brands and communities through storytelling. You will have a deep understanding of how brand and digital marketing intersect to drive growth in fast-moving environments and will be someone who builds strong partnerships across the industry and serves as an enabling force within the organization. You will demonstrate a bias toward action and be ready to roll up your sleeves to get the work done. You will have the flexibility and creativity of mindset to try different marketing approaches but can also pull from a track record of prior success.
- 10 years of brand / consumer marketing experience
- 4 years as a manager
- Experience building innovative brands and go to market campaigns
- Capacity to balance short-term needs with longer term vision
- Fluency in digital marketing, including a clear understanding of building brands and communities in digital channels, social media, content, etc.
- Understanding of the interplay between brand and performance marketing and how to best leverage across channels
- Exceptional project management and presentation skills
- Experience working at hyper-growth, fast-paced organizations
- A love of theSkimm’s brand and respect of its audience
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Catered Friday lunches and monthly gatherings
- A vibrant office environment full of books, couches and a roof deck
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.