Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs—bringing better care to where it’s needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that “health is local” and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are, bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams and Virtual Care offerings.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we’ll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To close gaps in care and advance equity in the communities we serve, we have to start with making our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bringing together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels supported and included as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
About the Role:
As an Actuarial Associate for Valuation and Performance, this role will be a part of the actuarial team that is responsible for implementing performance forecasting, experience monitoring, and risk mitigation for new and existing partners, and for understanding the drivers of financial performance relative to expectations. The Associate in this role will be an active hands-on contributor with direct responsibilities for components of risk reserves and forecasting.
The partners we work with, the markets we operate in, the membership we serve, varies across different blocks of our business. Also, healthcare data is seldom perfectly clean and consistent, so you must be willing to spend the time to understand the data as a foundational component to the work. You will have the opportunity to learn, improve and expand the tools available to the actuarial team.
Your work will help our market leads understand the drivers of the financial performance under their contracts with payers in each market. You will work with members of the Finance and Analytics to interpret emerging claims and revenue experience and to forecast changes in these drivers to the Cityblock business. You will help formulate complex actuarial analytics to be consumable by business leaders. If you want to come and use your actuarial skills to contribute and make a difference in the communities we serve, we want to hear from you!
Requirements for the Role:
- You have an actuarial and/or statistical background. You have 3+ years experience with healthcare claims data. Ideally this includes 2 years experience working directly with health claims reserves.
- You have experience working with Medicare and/or Medicaid programs, and an understanding of the drivers of revenue and margin under these programs
- You are a strong SQL programmer, with experience navigating non-standard data
- You are detail-oriented and organized, but able to see the big picture and the bottom line
- You have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, an intellectual curiosity to understand true underlying trends, and the drive towards continuous process improvement
- You enjoy a dynamic environment and are able to make progress on multiple projects at the same time
How We Define Success:
- In 30 days…
- Develop familiarity with the existing data, tool and processes used by the Valuation and Performance team
- Form relationships with your partners in the Market and Finance areas
- Actively participate, with oversight, in the initial month end financial process
- Contribute to an initial high-priority, lower-lift actuarial and analytics project
- In 60 days …
- Assume ownership for a distinct component of the financial monitoring / close work
- Start to refine and enhance existing data queries, tools and processes within the Valuation and Performance Team
- Actively participate and contribute to partner discussions and alignment on Cityblock performance.
- Support the update of financial forecasts, helping to develop and refine assumptions around the drivers of revenue and/or total cost of care.
- Refine analytical exhibits used to communicate results and findings from the team to stakeholders in the market and Finance areas.
- Refine existing analytics models, summaries and assumptions by and helping to build in feedback loops between existing and new partner business insights.
- Serve as technical expert on the Valuation and Performance team on data and total cost of care components of the financial projections
- Serve as a strong partner to Market Finance teams, and to actuarial and finance peers in partner health plans to share observations and resolve differences in assessments of Cityblock performance.
Nice to Have, But Not Required:
- Prior experience with value-based arrangements for populations enrolled
- Prior experience working in a high growth, start-up environment
- Bachelor's degree in Actuarial Science, Mathematics or Data Analytics/Science
What We’d Like From You:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short cover letter, please!
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and the populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.