Assistant Buyer at Rent the Runway
About Rent the Runway:
Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by pioneering dynamic ownership and enabling women to rent, subscribe to and purchase secondhand clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. By creating a new model of dynamic ownership rooted in sustainability, RTR has made apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 700 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times.
Rent the Runway’s Fashion Team is seeking an entrepreneurial Assistant Buyer with great energy and sharp interpersonal skills. The Assistant Buyer will support the Buying Department in advancing the business while learning key processes and providing operational support. Our team is filled with passionate go-getters and is extremely collaborative - you will work with almost every team within the organization. We are in search of someone who can multitask, and has a keen desire to learn, grow and engage with our highly driven team.
What You'll Do:
- Scheduling and attending market appointments prepared with strategic assortment plans and understanding of product with a data backed approach
- Prepping for and participating in seasonal buys, bringing insights based on customer needs, product performance, industry trends, and business analytics
- Cataloging of product attributes in a management database with emphasis on product lifetime maintenance
- Projecting on order accurately to ensure timely delivery of merchandise through communication with Buyer, merchant teams, and external vendors
- Partnering with accounts payable to identify proper pricing and terms on invoices and inventory payments
- Timely execution of weekly standard reporting, analysis and recaps by category and vendor performance highlighting business opportunities and liabilities to the entire merchandising team.
- Support Buyer to maximize performance results through collaboration with cross functional teams to maximize exposure of best sellers, and support brand initiatives
- Partner with Merchandising and Operations Team to ensure new merchandise meets durability standards and assist with inventory maintenance issues as needed
- You are a self-starter with a team-player attitude who takes ownership and initiative and can excel in a fast-paced, high growth environment
- You have a Bachelor’s degree
- You have strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- You are proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel/Word/PowerPoint) and Google Suite and are open to learning new systems
- Strong written and verbal communicator communication
- Ability to lead by example with a high standard of professionalism, positive attitude, sophisticated sense of style and appreciation to work at Rent the Runway
- 0-1 year, related industry/internship is a plus
- Collaborative, enthusiastic and research minded; ability to use feedback from others in a constructive way
- Results and deadline-oriented with a strong sense of follow through
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Hybrid Work - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week, in accordance with Company policies.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.