Associate Community Manager at Stack Overflow
UK Remote (Prefered) or US RemoteAt Stack Overflow
Stack Overflow is the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. More than 50 million professional and aspiring programmers visit Stack Overflow each month to help solve coding problems, develop new skills, and find job opportunities.
Additionally, Stack Exchange is a community of 170+ sites that cover topics from parenting, to DevOps, to crypto, to role-playing-games. Our network of sites host millions of users every month from all over the world that are working to establish the largest knowledge base of questions and answers that the world has ever seen.
We have a network of over 500 community-elected moderators who volunteer their time handling issues raised by site users. Moderators monitor our sites for posts and comments that have been flagged for moderator attention, resolve disputes between users, and escalate serious issues to the Community Management team.
As an Associate Community Manager, you will learn the complexities, behaviors, roles, social contracts, and rules that drive our distinct communities in order to advocate for and support our millions of users. You are the company’s face to our users in our interactions across all of our public products. You’ll become familiar with common pain points our users may be experiencing and will be essential in helping us identify issues that need to be fixed. You’ll contribute to brainstorming and implementing solutions.
What you’ll do:
Day to day, you will be monitoring and managing the current, shifting needs and experience of various segments of our user base. You’ll need to context switch often as you prioritize (and reprioritize) initiatives, solutions, and tasks in a constantly changing environment. You’ll be the first point of contact for tickets submitted by users through our contact us form. You’ll triage incoming tickets and send non-community requests to the appropriate teams, you’ll respond to general community inquiries, and escalate tickets when appropriate to the larger community team. As a member of the Community Operations team you’ll identify the pain points, trends, and issues that our users face and work closely with the larger Community Team and Product teams to solve these problems. You’ll need to be patient and empathetic in communicating with users across our 170+ sites. You’re someone who enjoys helping others get unstuck and sleuthing to see if there are bugs that need to be squashed or features that need to be created/improved to help users have the best experience on our sites.What you’ll need to have:
- A desire/drive to work with technologists around topics that interest them
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Solutions oriented problem-solving and critical thinking abilities
- Exceptional interpersonal skills - you care about people and are passionate about helping others
- Self-starter and excited to work in an ever changing environment
- Highly motivated with a strong work ethic and good judgement
- Patience when dealing with stressful situations and flexibility when priorities shift
- A desire to be part of a collaborative team where you’ll have ownership over specific tasks along with the ability to provide input on team projects and develop new skill sets towards your professional development
- Living and working within GMT-7:00 (US) to GMT+2:00 (Europe) time zones
- Customer-facing or user-facing experience in either an IT helpdesk environment or with online community-support
- Experience with support ticket triage, preferably using Jira
- Understanding of Stackoverflow and/or use in one or more of the Stack Exchange network sites
- Troubleshooting experience
- Experience with SQL —you can read and write queries, and know how to read a schema
- Familiarity with SLAs
- The ability to speak to technical and non-technical users when troubleshooting technical issues
- Competitive base salary
- 20 days paid vacation
- Flexible hours
- Stock options
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Transportation reimbursement or home internet reimbursement depending on if you are remote or commuting to our London or NYC office
- Employment is conditioned upon successful completion of a background check and upon having the appropriate legal right to work.
Diverse teams build better products
Legally, we need you to know this: Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this: We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.#LIRemote