Associate General Manager, New Markets & Implementation
Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs—bringing better care to where it’s needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that “health is local” and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are, bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams and Virtual Care offerings.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we’ll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To close gaps in care and advance equity in the communities we serve, we have to start with making our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bringing together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels supported and included as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
About the Role:
The Associate General Manager, New Markets and Implementation sits at the intersection of growth, operations, and business excellence, a key leader in establishing and growing Cityblock’s business in new and expanding territories. In the context of new markets, you will be responsible for developing and delivering on goals and performance within the territory, operational execution of new contracts, clinical and quality outcomes, and financial success. Put simply, you drive value for Cityblock and its strategic partners in the market. The Associate General Manager collaborates closely with the implementation team’s clinical leadership and newly established clinical leaders in the given market who own overall clinical strategy and care delivery. Your management oversight and primary or shared accountability includes, and is not limited to, development and implementation of business operations, network development, partnership / account management, clinical operations, care delivery operational excellence, community based organization partnerships, member engagement and satisfaction, community outreach, and team management.
You will be an important leader within Cityblock’s growing team, and will collaborate cross-functionally with senior leaders across the organization, including in particular operational, clinical, and growth development executives, to be a face and leader for Cityblock on the ground. You will develop high quality professional relationships and lead execution of multi-million dollar annual revenue contracts. You will engage heavily with Cityblock’s health plan partners and other collaborative organizations in the market, such as risk-bearing health systems, provider groups and community-based organizations (CBOs). You will ensure a smooth transition from implementation to run-rate leadership, including the market General Manager. You are driven by a passion for value-based, integrated health care and you care deeply about bringing best-in-class care models to serve patients with complex health and social needs. You are an operator who brings experience managing large and distributed workforces and in building trust-based relationships with both front-line associates and senior executives.
If you like hard problems, are seeking out entrepreneurial opportunities, and are an amazing teammate and leader, we want to hear from you!
Requirements for the Role:
- Have a bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university; MBA or equivalent preferred; 6+ years leadership experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Have 4-6 years of experience working as a senior and respected leader in the health and social services community in [market]
- Direct experience as a Senior Manager, P&L leader or operations leader within a health care delivery or health plan setting, or with in a capitated or risk-based medical group serving Behavioral Health, Medicaid, Medicare, and/or dual eligible patients
- Bring experience managing a P&L
- Are deeply strategic AND operationally oriented, constantly focused on performance excellence and efficiency, but also seeking ways to innovate and grow
- Bring experience managing a large workforce with roles that vary in complexity and support requirements (both clinical and non-clinical)
- Have hands-on operations leadership experience. You’ve built and improved teams, built deep stakeholder relationships will, and driven high-fidelity, field-based operations
- Have superb project/process management skills (particularly with modern tool suites and cloud collaboration), and you are rigorous, energetic, agile, flexible, and aren’t afraid to do the work yourself
- Have exceptional organizational, communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to project professional competence, leadership capability, and personal maturity, and most importantly, you inspire a commitment to Cityblock’s mission
- Are charismatic with excellent presentation skills and the ability to own external relationships with key executive stakeholders
- Bring experience in managing and assessing rigorous quantitative and qualitative market performance
How We Define Success:
- Drive the financial, operational, and clinical results for markets within the designated region
- Facilitate all business operations, budgeting and administrative activities that support assigned market(s) to drive high value performance and an efficient, lean operating model
- Support the operations that lead a large and distributed workforce that spans multiple roles (both clinical and non-clinical) and diverse geographies across markets within the region
- Establish a trust-based partnership with Cityblock’s clinical leadership teams (both within assigned market and nationally) where you will design, implement and manage business operations that reinforce the Cityblock model of care to achieve local market goals
- Drive market expansions and local launches (if/when applicable) by starting and scaling first-in-market teams as well as expansions to propagate Cityblock’s model into peripheral geographies
- Grow membership base and market share to meet assigned market growth goals
- Develop and manage provider and community-based organization networks; collaborate with health plan partners to manage and enhance their provider and community networks
- Hire, train, manage, and develop in-market operations leaders (business operations, clinic operations, network, and more)
- Promote a metrics-driven culture, with the development of consistent approaches to setting performance targets, forecasting and ongoing performance improvement
- Support local health plan, health system and CBO relationships to reinforce Cityblock’s care model; includes leading Joint Operating Committee meetings and ongoing operations collaboration meetings.
- Act as a local business development leader, targeting and developing new strategic collaborations within the markets, orchestrating collaborations to drive revenue diversification, and leading local implementation
Nice to Have, But Not Required:
- Knowledge of payer environment inclusive of Medicare, Medicaid, Duals, Behavioral Health and Commercial benefits, programs, and structure
- Familiarity with health care network strategy, including network development, value-based care contracting, provider relations, and local operations
- Strong working understanding of the national payer and risk-bearing provider landscape, severe mental illness and substance use disorder programs and solutions, as well as digital health trends and new entrants
- Strong understanding of health reform, population health strategy, and change leadership in large, complex health care organizations
- MD/MBA joint degree with an orientation towards the business of medicine (i.e., does not need to be a practicing or board-certified physician)
- High growth start-up experience
- Experience operating in a tech-forward environment, including building and deploying bespoke digital tools
What We’d Like From You:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short cover letter, please!
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and the populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.
Covid 19 Update - Please Read: