Business Lead, Mortgage Operations at Better.com
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $2 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better is hiring a Business Lead in our New York office! This role will support our Head of Mortgage Operations in making and executing phenomenal decisions. We are looking for a jack-of-all-trades, with experience in wide-ranging or cross-functional areas, and an eagerness to learn new skills. This is a multifaceted position that requires strong analytical and project management skills, as well as the ability to work and communicate cross-functionally and manage relationships with internal partners. Our ideal candidate has proven track record in business operations or analytics, preferably within consulting, a start-up or fast-paced, hyper-growth environment, is proficient in Google Suite and embodies a customer-first approach in everything that they do. This individual will operate as an analyst and decision framer, as well as an agent of change and a mentor. If this sounds like you, we look forward to meeting you!Responsibilities will include:
- Help identify priorities, strategically align allocation of time and revisit regularly to assess progress in weekly syncs
- Facilitate meetings with or on behalf of the Head of Mortgage Operations
- Coordinate meeting preparation and planning for Operations related meetings, including but not limited to Division Leadership and Core Leadership meetings
- Manage a variety of long-term, cross-organizational projects
- Provide communications support; draft emails, reports, memos and presentations
- Assist with headcount, talent mapping, incentives and promotional approvals
- Generally speaking, this person will create order out of chaos
Ability to get things done: Our ideal candidate is driven to achieve results. You are tenacious in the face of adversity and carry a can-do demeanor. You are an extraordinary organizer and project planner with the ability to consistently look ahead and anticipate needs before they arise.
Strategic approach: You provide strategic thought partnership, brainstorm and identify solutions to challenges. You are a natural problem solver with analytical and structured thinking. You are able to build order out of chaos by identifying systems and processes in need of increased efficiencies. You understand business operations and easily synthesize information to develop a recommended plan of action.
High emotional intelligence: The Business Lead must understand the underlying motivations not only of their leader, but also of themselves and others across the organization with whom they build relationships and influence. They will be politically savvy -- the ultimate connector, in the know about every key project, and will be able to connect the dots across the company. You are positive, empathetic, flexible, curious. You garner respect and are someone who people like to surround themselves with.
Create structure and process for a forward-thinking leader. You will be creating cohesion and alignment in the operations organization. This includes driving priorities and/or special projects.
Creative communication: You provide detailed and concise communication to all internal and external partners.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.