Rhino is charging into the real estate space to unlock over $190 billion in cash security deposits. We are building products, like our affordable insurance policy, to put money back in renters' pockets.
As a Compliance Director at Rhino, you’ll assume a crucial role on a hungry team that is ready and eager to transform the future of renting and insurance.
In this role you will:
Be a business partner to the insurance, product and marketing organizations with focus on reviewing and assessing compliance processes, frameworks and materials. You will also be responsible for developing and implementing a compliance strategy and maintaining adequate controls, procedures & processes in place to ensure compliance with all laws, regulations and codes applicable to general insurance and related business areas. You will work closely with in-house and external counsel.
- Oversight of compliance requirements, policies and internal guidelines.
- We have several insurance vendors and counsels that support us in various capacities. You will be in charge of managing and directing them.
- Conduct research and provide expert advice to the insurance organization and other stakeholders on risk assessments.
- Advise on regulatory matters related to product filings, distribution, marketing and advertising and other insurance law related matters.
- Oversee proper reporting and submission of state filings, carrier reportings, and tax payments.
- Manage licensing of agents and adjusters and maintain a master licensing database.
- Recruit, hire and manage personnel to grow Rhino’s internal compliance organization.
- Support the implementation of a consistent approach to the identification and assessment of key risks.
- Develop complaints training module and run and monitoring process of complaints and provide reporting to internal stakeholders.
- Proactively manage and carry out routine and ongoing compliance monitoring of the business – internal team and external partners.
- Review and challenge the design, structure and distribution of innovative insurance products to ensure that they meet regulatory requirements and internal control policies and standards.
- Support and assist in preparation of appropriate training materials for relevant stakeholders.
- Monitor and understand regulatory changes and assist in providing implementation of required changes.
In terms of qualifications, we’re ideally seeking:
- 5+ years experience in a property & casualty insurance compliance role.
- Deep understanding of insurance regulations, underwriting, and policy coverages, including surety.
- Deep understanding of compliance management concepts and frameworks.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to engage, build relationships and influence stakeholders.
- Experience with research platforms Westlaw and/or Wolters Kluwer.
- Qualifications in actuarial science, legal or equivalent strongly preferred.
- You thrive in a dynamic and often changing environment and enjoy managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- You are a strong independent thinker and contributor and you love collaborating across teams.
- You feel at home using Microsoft Office, G Suite, Slack and other modern workspace technology.
- Experience with surplus lines products and requisite filings preferred.
- Experience with market conduct exams or audits is also a plus.