Betterment is a technology-driven financial services company that offers services for spending and saving, alongside its core investing and retirement solutions. Since 2010, Betterment has had one mission: to help people make the most of their money so they can live better lives. Using cutting-edge technology, Betterment empowers its hundreds of thousands of customers to manage their money – for today, tomorrow, and someday – through personalized, expert advice; automated money management tools; and tax-smart strategies that help keep taxes low. Learn more www.betterment.com.About the Role:
You are eager to join a dynamic team to help build out the compliance function at one of the most innovative registered investment advisers and broker-dealers. You’re thorough, always ask questions, intellectually curious, and detail oriented. You love building things from scratch and thrive in a fast paced environment. You’re very familiar with the applicable rules and are excited to use those skills to enhance the compliance program. You think outside the box and find working across the business to find solutions fun! You are ready to roll up your sleeves and get to work in the most exciting work environment there is!
We are hiring in all states except CO.A Day in the Life:
- Help our Compliance team execute our investment adviser and broker-dealer compliance functions with a focus on:
- Trading requirements, including best execution, trade reporting, trade allocation, and
- Operations activities, such as proxies, corporate actions, account transfers, escheatment, custody, segregation of client assets (Rule 15c3-3), reserve requirements and delivery of statements and trade confirmations.
- Conduct second line oversight of compliance with applicable regulatory guidelines
- Advise on a variety of topics including new products, services and other initiatives
- Create and deliver training
- Help ensure that appropriate regulatory policies, procedures, and controls are established, maintained, and documented
- Develop testing and oversight
- Help with annual reviews of the firm’s compliance program
- Provide support on regulatory and annual compliance examinations
- And so much more!
- Compliance experience supporting and overseeing broker-dealer trading and/or Operations Department activities
- Thorough knowledge of FINRA and SEC rules and regulations governing broker-dealers, including best execution, trade reporting and trade allocation.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to exercise sound and balanced judgment
- Strong intellectual curiosity
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- A meticulous attention to detail
Joining Betterment means belonging to a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your well-being, and continuing on a journey of non-stop growth and evolution.
You’ll join a Community that Cares:
- Betterment is a place to bring your best self. We welcome families (and pets) for all our activities such as lunches, company retreats, and celebrations.
- Make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, and regular knowledge sharing, all occurring in a remote friendly way.
- Join one or more of our 8 Employee Resource Strategy Groups as a member or an ally, and help us shape Betterment’s culture and product for years to come.
You’ll stay Happy and Healthy:
- We will ensure you're set up and cared for with a customizable workstation, enrollment in our 401(k) service, flexible parental leave, annual gym reimbursements and a whole suite of thoughtful benefits.
- You’ll have unlimited paid personal and vacation days, and a team that cares about your whole life, not just what you’re working on.
You’ll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills and abilities through Betterment University courses and additional allowance for outside learning.
- As part of a team that values knowledge sharing and transparency you can opt into mentoring and career coaching programs, weekly company meetings, and show & tells.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to [email protected]What Happens Next?
We expect to take a few weeks to review all applications. If we would like to spend more time with you, you will hear from us to arrange next steps. You can expect 3-4 sets of conversations, all remote, with your future colleagues in the weeks following your application.
Throughout the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our interview questions will be behavioral, aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. We may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, depending on the role, as we aim to collect a robust set of data points throughout the interview process.
On average, it takes us around 4-6 weeks to complete the interview process. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision.
Please note that we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process. We usually see 1,000+ applications for open positions, and our hiring team simply doesn’t have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback to each candidate.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you giving us consideration as the next step in your career. Our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process, so please let us know how we can help.Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.