NS1 optimizes delivery of the world’s most critical internet and enterprise applications. Only NS1’s platform is built on a modern API-first architecture that acts on real-time data and grows more powerful in complex environments, transforming DNS, DHCP, and IP Address Management (IPAM) into an intelligent, efficient, and automated system. NS1’s technology drives dramatic gains in IT efficiency and application performance, reliability, and security for the largest global enterprises, including Salesforce, LinkedIn, Dropbox, Nielsen, Pitney Bowes, Squarespace, Pandora and The Guardian. We solve incredibly challenging problems on behalf of our customers, in the most mission critical parts of their stack.The Role
We're looking for creative individuals who enjoy a healthy mix of hacking and helping. You're the type of person who secretly likes the fact that you run tech support for your entire family. You have experience running Linux-heavy distributed applications at scale, but you never forget the fact that a product is nothing without a legion of happy users.
Thankfully, NS1 already has an awesome product servicing some of the most innovative customers on the planet (see above). Now we need you to help us keep moving it forward. The majority of your day-to-day will be comprised of the front-line systems support type work that should be very familiar to you. When you're not actively engaging with customers, you'll have time to step back and develop tools and processes that will keep the Customer Success team operating efficiently. Overall if you enjoy triaging tickets with engineers, communicating complex solutions, assisting CSMs in customer migrations, and inspiring your colleagues through your resourcefulness this is the job for you!
Excelling in this position requires having broad knowledge of the many technologies that comprise modern Web Scale applications and being able to offer constructive advice for customer implementations as well as internal improvements. You'll take responsibility for front-line support, and your daily work will have an immediate company-wide impact.
Your primary responsibilities will include:
- Troubleshooting DNS problems in the context of larger, client-specific application topologies
- Leveraging our unique feature set to implement distinctive solutions to complex traffic-routing problems for our customers
- Taking the lead on client-escalated support tickets.
- Becoming a subject matter expert for NS1's various subsystems
- Advocating for customers in cross-department meetings
- Representing our customers’ needs accurately and effectively
- Identifying areas for improvement in our customer offering, developing tools/scripts and contributing to our knowledge base
- Attending customer business reviews, offering constructive feedback and optimizations suitable to their needs.
- Collaborating with TechOps engineers to investigate customer-reported issues
- 2+ years spent in a front-line support on-call rotation
- Excellent communication skills (verbal & written)
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Possess a basic understanding of internet protocols
- Comfortable with shell scripting and other command line tools
- Experience working with and analyzing data
- Basic familiarity with Linux
- Comfortable working in an environment with distributed systems
- Comfortable using a standard REST API
- Familiarity with DNS protocol
- Experience with databases
- Familiarity with SQL or NoSQL
- Experience diagnosing networking issues
- Our globally distributed platform is comprised of many subsystems including:
- Custom built DNS platform that’s deployed on physical hardware
- Anycasted edge network that spans nearly 30 facilities globally
- REST API and Client Portal
- Deployment automation, CI/CD, unit/integration testing
- Monitoring, metrics collection and alerting
- Traffic load balancing, filtering, and DDoS mitigation tools
- Distributed messaging, persistent DB and caching systems
- Other technologies and integrations include:
- Linux, Ansible, Docker & other container platforms
- BGP, BPF, SDN, packet analysis
- MongoDB, Redis, RabbitMQ, PostgreSQL
- Go, Python, Bash, C, C++14, React, Redux, D3
- OpenTSDB, ELK, Grafana
- Integrations with third party SaaS, APIs, and libraries, various Open Source projects including REST API clients and integrations
We’re a fast-growing, well-funded startup based in the heart of New York City’s Financial District with offices and team members around the world. Working at NS1, you’ll come to understand our team is unique, both in and out of the workplace. We have PhDs, musicians, artists, and athletes working side by side, dedicated to delivering first class products. We’re hardworking, but we're also a compassionate group. We understand that outside of NS1 is a world that places demands on our time. Our leadership team is dedicated to open and honest communication and we continuously strive to foster a culture of transparency, flexibility, and creativity.
- competitive compensation (salary and stock options)
- medical, dental, and vision
- commuter benefits
- flexible hours and time off
- choice of workstation
NS1 is an equal opportunity employer.