Digital Media Engineer at Discovery Digital Media
Discovery Inc is the world’s #1 pay-TV programmer reaching 2.7 billion subscribers in more than 220 countries and territories. Global Technology & Operations provides technological infrastructure and operations support to ensure audiences can enjoy Discovery's programming around the world and across platforms. Already a leader in the factual and lifestyle genres, Discovery has expanded its core business into new genres: sports, entertainment and kids. Its platforms and product eco-systems are now engaged in terrestrial/free-to-air, OTT products and content development/production companies.
The Way We Work
Discovery continues to grow around the world and across platforms. GT&O is building media technology and systems that meet world class standards for which Discovery is known. Our culture and leadership traits are in evolution as we expand from a traditional linear Pay TV business towards a convergent media and entertainment business that encompasses digital and mobile. Discovery is developing direct-to-consumer relationships, while delivering traditional platforms, with innovative solutions. Discovery is looking to embrace a dynamic and entrepreneurial individual.
Discovery’s Media Engineering team spearheads many of Discovery’s highest priority and cutting-edge technical initiatives. This position on the team will be responsible for the support, configuration, maintenance and design of studio and post production systems at production facilities, as well as participate in the roll-out of Discovery’s technical initiatives.
1. Provide application support to various local and remote end users.
2. Evaluate new technologies and make educated recommendations regarding equipment and software.
3. Troubleshoot hardware and software problems including maintenance support.
4. Provide full life-cycle support to end-users requests as.
5. Create detailed engineering SOP’s for the operation and maintenance of computer systems.
6. Other job duties, responsibilities, and project assignments as assigned.
* Work with a team of engineers, development teams and operators in a collaborative, team-oriented environment
* Motivated individual with knowledge and interest in troubleshooting and maintaining file based workflows
* Ability to troubleshoot Mac and PC software and hardware problems, including Windows, Linux and MAC operating systems and applications, drivers, workstations, servers, and peripherals
* Ability to support audio and video systems for live studio and remote productions
* Ability to work independently and with other members of a team and follow through on support requests in a timely manner, escalating to other members of the team when appropriate
* Ability to perform well in a high-pressure environment and prioritize multiple tasks
* Proven oral and written communication skills
* Ability to provide on-call/remote support on a rotating schedule outside of regular business hours, as needed.
* Work directly with other teams to address critical problems through to resolution
* Act as a liaison and take part in regular meetings between various departments and Engineering
* Ability to lift heavy equipment as needed (50 lbs)
* Travel may be required
* This position is considered an essential position. During times of inclement weather, emergencies, or when access to the workplace may be impeded the employee must work with management to make arrangements to report to work safely
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
* Experience in post-production, broadcast, of media industry environments.
* Experience with A+, Net+, MCSE, and Microsoft Office.
* Knowledge of accelerated media file transfer protocols such as Signiant and Aspera.
* Knowledge of video and audio codecs and frame rates including compression and transcoding solutions
* Understanding of AWS or GCP architectures and methodologies.
* Ability to read and understand technical drawings.
* Knowledge of Adobe Premier, After Effects, Avid Media Central, and ProTools.
* Knowledgeable in all areas of technical production and familiar with studio production equipment including broadcast audio, video and control systems, video servers, and storage area networks.
* Experience in broadcast production workflows and troubleshooting signal flow.
* Previous work with media asset management systems (MAM), virtual machines (VM), and server administration.