Director, Asset Protection & Inventory Control at Rent the Runway
Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by enabling women to rent, versus buy, clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. We’ve pioneered a new industry by transforming the traditional model of clothing consumption, making apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 650 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times. RTR has five retail stores of the future, 11 million community members and employs nearly 1,800 people, all of whom have equal benefits across the organization, 93% of whom are female and/or non-white, with 80% of leaders who are womenAbout the Job:
The Director of Security & Asset Protection is responsible for innovation, strategic development and successful operations of Rent The Runway’s network wide profit protection initiatives including but not limited to total loss improvement, protecting all company assets (buildings, equipment, inventory), physical security measures, investigations, inventory control programs, business continuity and security disciplines. They provide operational and strategic oversight within each of its functions to prevent, minimize, and/or recover losses when they occur. The Director of Security & Asset Protection is a servant leader; dive in, roll up your sleeves to help in any situation, make tools available, remove obstacles for associates to excel in their roles, have empathy and compassion for associates, and the passion and leadership to stand up for them when the time arises.
What You’ll Do:
- Identify, design and implement loss prevention and inventory control programs and security best practices that align with company values and strategic imperatives
- Establish high level of shortage awareness and effectiveness determined by audit results; work with retail, transportation partners and fulfillment center teams to ensure all policies and procedures are thoroughly understood and in compliance
- Collaborate with site leaders on network investigation, business continuity, and security strategies and drives consensus on tactical execution, response and reporting
- Establish business continuity and incident response providing guidance, counsel and reporting related to inventory and building/network security to and for business resilience during emergency incidents
- Responsible for the execution of security investigations, security initiatives and company event security within retail and the supply chain network
- Develop, recommend, and manage expense and capital budgets for Asset Protection vertical
- Identify, recommend, and implement new processes, reporting, hardware, and software improvements related to security systems and innovative technology
- Manage loss prevention vendor partner relationships including third party guard service program
- Maintain strong working knowledge of all processes and policies
- Actively lead with safety, production, cost and quality at the forefront of all decision making
- Establish and meet KPIs
- Track and report on metrics which are KPIs
- Build strong teams and create programs/plans to improve all metrics across departments
- Lead, mentor, train and develop a team of both direct and indirect reports through clear and effective communication
- Manage and maintain an operating budget and hit cost reduction goals
- Ownership and accountability for team’s daily decision making and execution
- Be patient, have strong communication skills and the capability to coach and develop leaders (eg. daily real time feedback)
- Communicate across all levels of the operation
- Develop, lead and direct change
- Be comfortable speaking in front of groups of all sizes including executive leadership
- B.S. degree in business administration or related field; MBA is a plus
- 8 to 12 years of related experience working in security services, loss prevention, asset protection, audit, risk management, inventory control, quality assurance, or other related field
- Experience in a warehouse and/or retail environment
- 7 to 10 years experience leading and developing people and teams
- Familiarity with security equipment such as intrusion detection devices, access control systems, etc.
- Experience with interviewing and interrogation; Wicklander-Zulawski certification is a plus
- Experience with Kaizen and Lean Manufacturing techniques
- Leader of leaders
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills (eg. spreadsheet software, powerpoint/slides), as well as the ability to operate warehouse tools (eg. scanner, ladder, warehouse software)
- Ability to quickly recognize, diagnose and solve for challenges and workflow for teams and leadership
- High level of confidentiality
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Forward-thinker, with keen analytic skills and the the ability to articulate point of view, develop systems/plans, and improve processes across the organization
- Ability to establish effective relationships across the organization and partner to navigate complex situations
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to influence leaders and effectively negotiate with internal and external business partners
- Experience managing budgets with the ability to evaluate financial and business indicators and translate data into actionable information to drive results
- Have a positive, “can-do” attitude and excellent interpersonal skills
- Must operate with a sense of urgency and have attention to detail
- Align with the company's Core Values to ensure a world class customer experience
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
Rent the Runway is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Rent the Runway does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need