Director of Business Operations at Group Nine Media
NowThis is seeking a Director of Business Operations. Reporting to NowThis’ President, this unique hybrid role -- combining business operations and brand partnerships & development -- provides meaningful exposure to every aspect of a media company. It involves working closely with several teams across NowThis and the parent company, with a focus on NowThis’ production, editorial and publishing operations, and with Group Nine’s finance, ad sales, studios and business development teams.
As Director of Business Operations, you will support top priority strategic initiatives, as well as own individual projects that help advance the brand. You will be responsible for sourcing, evaluating and executing organic and monetization-driven partnerships. You will drive experiments around new business models and tentpole content initiatives. Additionally, you’ll help manage the NowThis budget, working closely with the head of production, by running financial analyses, tracking revenue & costs, and identifying and implementing operational efficiencies. You’ll serve as the key point person for the intersection of NowThis' brand operations and Group Nine corporate functions.
- Lead day-to-day management of the budget, and support annual budgeting and quarterly re-forecasting efforts; work with the finance team to track and approve expenditures
- Support brand-level and sales/partnerships efforts by creating external - and internal - facing presentations and proposals
- Oversee and help execute partnership activations and tentpole campaigns across brand initiatives, editorial initiatives, distribution deals, etc.
- Work closely with all NowThis teams to implement office and business processes that help improve the efficiency and quality of our culture and systems
- Source an ongoing pipeline of prospective brand partnerships; conduct initial due diligence on new partners and business models
- Track performance of and report on partnerships and social sharing campaigns
- Requires a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in education and experience
- 3+ years in business development, consulting, investment banking and/or a relevant operational role
- Prior experience in media/tech a plus
- Proven track record of successfully executing initiatives from start to end
- Analytical thinker with strong quantitative skills and familiarity with accounting
- Strong EQ and interpersonal skills -- demonstrated experience fostering effective and collaborative working relationships with employees at every level of the company
- Goal-and solution-oriented with an eye for both the big picture and the tactical steps needed to get there
- Entrepreneurial, agile mindset -- a high degree of comfort in fast-moving and uncertain environments, and a willingness to get your hands dirty
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Fluent in Excel, Keynote / PowerPoint
About Group Nine Media:
Group Nine Media is one of the world's largest digital-first media companies and the #1 publisher on Facebook Watch, boasting over 5 billion monthly video views [source: Crowd platform specific analytics modules] and reaching 81% of U.S. adults in their 20s [source: Nielsen]. With over 120 million social engagements each month [source: ListenFirst Media], Group Nine's brands are built for consumption on the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. Group Nine is home to NowThis (the no. 1 most watched social news brand in the world), The Dodo (the no. 1 animal brand on social), Thrillist (the most trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment) and Seeker (the digital leader in science and curiosity). Group Nine recently acquired Emmy nominated, Cannes Lion and Sundance Film Festival award-winning production studio, JASH.
We offer great benefits such as medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), PTO, company paid AD&D, Life Insurance, Short-term & Long-term disability, and much more!
Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify