Director of Construction and Design, Expansion
Knotel is seeking a Director of Construction and Design, Expansion to lead the teams for our expansion markets, outside of New York City. Reporting directly to our Global Head of Real Estate & Business Development, s/he will grow Knotel’s global real estate portfolio by setting systems and processes around the entire pre-construction and build-out through member move-in. Additionally, s/he will develop and leverage knowledge of local markets to inform broader expansion planning and new market strategy.
What You’ll Do
- Oversee the design, construction, and fit-out of global Knotel locations by managing a team of designers, project managers and external consultants, contractors and vendors
- Serve as expert advisor to support Knotel’s Global Real Estate team by providing early input for scope, cost and timeline assumptions as new locations are reviewed
- Lead Knotel’s expansion strategy by developing and overseeing a network of qualified and competitive vendors, contractors and consultants
- Manage resources to drive consistency, objectivity and fact-based orientation with respect to project delivery across markets
- Create and prepare various monthly, quarterly, and annual reports for management’s review as needed
- Hire, onboard, and manage a distributed workforce responsible for growing Knotel’s portfolio in new markets
- Work with our San Francisco Supply Operations Lead to streamline procedures, strengthen our product and optimize the way we do things
Who You Are
You’re a demonstrated leader and people manager with the ability to motivate teammates, develop their skills, delegate and make sound business decisions. You have deep expertise in design and construction management and are well-versed in general building requirements and code compliance. You naturally have an eye toward scale and are excited about the ability to bring Knotel to every major city where commercial real estate continues to be a major point for companies of all shapes and sizes.
- 10 + years of experience leading construction and/or leading the budgeting of CAPEX projects (including the management of significant budgets)
- Construction management background in a fast-paced startup or retail environment
- Ability to balance design with operational needs and budget objectives under tight timelines resulting in exceptional work space environments
- Creative thinking and flexibility that allows you to operate in an agile high growth environment
Knotel is the world’s leading flexible workspace provider that gets, fits, fills and manages space for customers. Knotel caters to established and growing companies, giving them the freedom to focus on their business, culture, and people. With over 4 million square feet across 200 locations in three continents, Knotel is transforming commercial real estate and moving companies forward.
Knotel was founded in 2016 by Amol Sarva and Edward Shenderovich to give businesses the flexibility and speed to scale on their own terms. All Knotel spaces are tailored to the needs of each individual company by an in-house team of architects, interior designers, and workplace strategists. For more information, please visit www.knotel.com.
Our Core Values
- Fly your Flag - Don’t check your identity at the door. Bring it inside - we are better for it.
- Don’t Look Away - Care for the details no one told you about. Make every space a home and give the gift of belonging.
- Outcomes, Not Processes - Time is precious. Save it. Start with the goal and back out the journey
- Get Uncomfortable - Innovation starts at the edge of the unknown. Embrace the adventure and sign up for the hairy challenges.
- “Where is it Engraved…” - Question orthodoxy.
- Share in the Victory Dance - No one summits alone. Leverage the best in others and offer the most in yourself.
Diversity & Inclusion at Knotel
At Knotel, we know that a diverse workforce fosters our individual and collective success. We are committed to building an inclusive, collaborative culture where people of all races, genders, sexual orientations, and religious backgrounds can do their best work. This is all fueled by our employees, who drive the efforts and initiatives outlined here.