Director, Corporate Development at Cityblock Health
Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs—bringing better care to where it’s needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that “health is local” and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are, bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams and Virtual Care offerings.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we’ll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To close gaps in care and advance equity in the communities we serve, we have to start with making our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bringing together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels supported and included as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
About the Role:
We are seeking a talented leader of Corporate Development. In this role, you will generate, manage, and execute acquisitions and strategic partnerships for Cityblock, working closely with the broader executive leadership team. You will report directly to the CFO.
The ideal candidate is a deal-maker who can bring quantitative rigor, consistency and creativity to the assessment and execution of Cityblock’s new business and corporate development funnel. You will sit at the nexus of the broader strategic efforts at Cityblock, bringing together external opportunities and internal perspectives to build our platform and accelerate Cityblock’s long-term vision. This is an opportunity to work with a mission-oriented, high-impact team and build out a critical function for a company that is changing the way healthcare is delivered.
Requirements for the Role:
- You have 8+ years of relevant experience in progressive Corporate Development, Finance, and/or Strategy roles (such as investment banking, VC, PE, corporate development, business development). Preferably, this experience has been in healthcare services / technology.
- You know what it takes to get a deal done. You have significant experience leading teams to execute all aspects of transactions including diligence, negotiation, execution, and integration
- You build trusted relationships with executives and cross functional business leaders, and are skilled at influencing others and building consensus even when you don’t have immediate decision or management authority
- You can run deals independently and represent Cityblock externally with credibility
- You are deeply quantitative and are fluent in valuation, financial modeling and financial analysis
- You are not afraid to roll up your sleeves to build models and slide presentations
- You have excellent written and oral communication skills, and a keen ability to tailor your communication to the needs and perspective of your audience
- You are comfortable with ambiguity, yet know how to drive to clarity and alignment
- You are low ego. You want to do the right thing for Cityblock, not to get the deal done at all costs.
- You are deeply passionate about our mission and excited by how this role will drive the Company’s success
How We Define Success:
- Partner with executive leadership to develop priorities, capabilities and frameworks for M&A / partnership as an extension of overall corporate strategy
- Drive acquisitions end-to-end, including strategy, market mapping, sourcing, financial assessment, due diligence, negotiation, execution and integration
- Work closely with the Growth & Product Strategy teams to assess and execute on partnership opportunities
- Lead cross-functional deal teams and - when relevant - cross-functional integration teams, across product, finance, legal, people, and others
- Assess new business and expansion opportunities with a quantitatively rigorous, strategically-minded orientation that is anchored in Cityblock’s core strategic priorities
- Establish and maintain relationships with the broader healthcare technology, VC, investment banking and start-up ecosystem to inform acquisition and partnership opportunities and stay up-to-date on the competitive landscape
Nice to Have, But Not Required:
- Start up experience
What We’d Like From You:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short cover letter, please!
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and the populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.