Director, Ethics and Compliance at BuzzFeed
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading independent digital media and tech company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally and spreads Joy and Truth across the internet.
Our portfolio of brands are household names that people rely on to inform and entertain, including: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, Nifty, Bring Me, Cocoa Butter, Pero Like, Worth It, and Unsolved to name a few! These properties and their Creators reach over 134M people a month through articles, lists, videos, animations, quizzes, podcasts, original series, newsletters and more.
BuzzFeed is hiring a Director, Ethics and Compliance to help develop the Company’s ethics, compliance, and enterprise risk management (ERM) programs and to be a central player in carrying out its corporate governance strategy. The Director, Ethics and Compliance will advise various departments and interact broadly within the organization, but will have especially heavy dealings with finance, IT, HR, legal, audit (both internal and external), and senior management. We are looking for a leader to (1) manage large and complex risk, compliance and governance projects, (2) develop policies and processes to bring greater transparency and efficiency to the Company’s business units, (3) help design, advise on and implement internal controls, and (4) sift large data sets to monitor trends and detect potentially fraudulent activity.
The Director, Ethics and Compliance will play a key role in the Company’s efforts to improve its overall governance. You must have strong statistical, analytical, organizational and project management skills. You will be called upon to lead across departments and disciplines, and so your ability to influence people and teams is critically important. Your responsibilities will broadly include:
- Performing ongoing risk assessments and assisting in the ERM process
- Creating risk registries and other similar tracking documents
- Reviewing internal controls and guiding management on leading practice
- Advising on the design and implementation of internal controls and related compliance efforts
- Documenting the current state of the control environment, identifying gaps, and recommending remediation - including establishing accountability and ownership
- Mapping risks, policies and controls in accordance with established risk frameworks (e.g., COSO)
- Developing risk management strategies and coordinating with the business to lead the risk culture
- Helping in the review and adoption of software and other technology tools, including those used to carry out third party due diligence, gifts and entertainment tracking, review of conflicts of interest, and GRC platforms
- Reporting on risk and compliance projects, including building dashboards and other visual “at a glance” accountability metrics
- Debriefing c-suite executives on relevant initiatives as necessary
- Preparing materials for board meetings and other presentations
- Carrying out any other tasks that may be assigned by your manager
You will be based in New York City and report to the Vice President and Associate General Counsel.
- You have strong judgment and professional skepticism, particularly in the substantive areas of responsibility outlined above
- You enjoy working collaboratively with others and inspiring them to work towards a common objective
- You relish tackling a complex project with multiple work streams, dependencies, and accountable persons, and are comfortable managing the relevant groups and subgroups to keep them on schedule and progressing forward
- You always are looking for and/or are willing to consider a creative solution
- You have executive presence
- You are organized and sweat the details
- You take pride in your writing and presenting things clearly (including visually, where appropriate, through decks, charts, or other summaries)
- You are driven by data and strive to be informed by it in your decision-making
- You comprehensively document your findings, and consider it important to accurately reflect current processes and controls (as well as the desired future state)
- You are cool under pressure
- You have unimpeachable integrity and the courage to express your point of view
- You possess a sense of humor and don’t take yourself too seriously
- You carry yourself with humility, grace and professionalism
- You are fun, upbeat and have a glass-half-full view of the world
- 4-year degree from an accredited college or university
- Degree in finance, accounting, business, mathematics, statistics, engineering, economics, computer science, or other discipline requiring a high level of data analysis skills and financial/accounting literacy
- Advanced degree and/or credential preferred (MBA, CPA, CFE)
- At least 8-years experience at a top accounting or consulting firm, or comparable experience in a corporate setting (finance, internal audit, forensics, accounting, compliance, risk management)
- A superior degree of proficiency with spreadsheets, databases, and other tools to manage large data sets (including the writing of scripts, formulas, and code, and the use of pivot tables)
- Willingness and ability to travel as necessary, including internationally
- Knowledge of and/or exposure to digital media and publishing a plus
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.