Director of Fraud Prevention at Justworks
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
You are a growth-minded leader and have a passion for protecting customers from bad actors with modern technologies and tools available to you. You want to bring your technical and operational skills to help small business owners and entrepreneurs not worry about fraudulent activities and grow with confidence.
You will have an opportunity to define this program and build a team that will interact with virtually every function within the organization, monitor every phase of the customer journey and utilize every aspect of the technology.
This position will report to the VP of Engineering and partner closely with senior leaders across the organization. The function will form a formidable partnership with cybersecurity, audit, and legal & compliance with the goal of earning the trust and confidence of our customers.
- You possess and demonstrate excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- You value (in-person) relationships and camaraderie and you bring people from different roles and priorities together in organizing the work.
- You embrace servant leadership philosophy and supporting autonomous and self-organizing teams around motivated individuals.
- You are comfortable presenting to stakeholders regularly.
- Customer Centricity
- You balance customer experience and customer risks and provide risk and exception-based decisions to combat the fight against fraud.
- You embrace continuous delivery of customer value to protect customers.
- You pay attention to technical excellence and operational excellence.
- You work relentlessly to gain the confidence and earn the trust of our customers, external and internal, in every aspect of fraud operations.
- You think strategically about scaling up the team, process, and systems in an Agile fashion through a set of experimentations and learnings and help the team adopt.
- You prioritize learning and embrace thoughtful changes.
- You promote the sustainability of the process.
- You use data effectively to help the organization learn and improve, using working software as the primary measure of success.
- You communicate effectively to the stakeholders and peers to educate the team.
- You use failures as opportunities to learn and improve.
- Domain Expert
- You demonstrate strong experience in data-driven decision-making.
- You demonstrate strong experience in modern technologies to detect patterns of anti-fraud in the payment, fintech, and/or payroll industry
- You have experience with bringing modern fraud mitigation strategies and technologies.
How You Will Do Your Work
- Oversee end to end program for fraud detection and prevention
- Recruit and build team of top class analysts and operators
- Define digital fraud monitoring, analytics and operational process and prioritization framework
- Collaborate with departments across the company to reduce fraud risks and improve customer communications
- Work with product & engineering to develop a data platform that is appropriate for fraud. Identify data sources and data gaps and work to define solutions to capture these sources of data most effectively and accurately
- Identify operational gaps and areas for improvement; analyzing operations data to identify the root cause of issues as they arise
- Design extensive reporting as relevant to assess the performance trends of fraud in the organization
- Define SLA and KPIs around fraudulent activities, collaborating with cybersecurity and customer success
- Leverage fraud data modeling and analytics to mitigate fraudulent activities and manage customer impact
- Provide appropriate training, feedback, and quality assurance practices in place
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- Bachelor's degree or global equivalent in a relevant field preferred.
- 10+ or more years of experience in fraud and risk management.
- You have experience with money movement, identity theft, and vendor fraud risks.
- You have expertise with financial investigations demonstrating risk-based judgment, problem-solving skills, and strong analytical ability
- You demonstrate exceptional client focus: the ability to form relationships effectively and quickly, establish trust, respect, competence, and confidence
- You worked with external financial institutions for the recovery of funds lost from custody and investigative research.
- You have investigation experience, working complex organized frauds, and knowledge of the judicial process and law enforcement
- You are able to work independently, capable of meeting strict target dates, and demonstrate organizational and excellent time management skills.
- You are comfortable working in fast-moving high-growth environments.
- You are comfortable with experimentation and innovation.
- You are comfortable with SQL or other programming languages to query data and perform analysis
Please Note: Justworks requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated within six weeks of their hire date as a condition of employment unless you qualify for a reasonable accommodation. For additional information on our policy, please click here.
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Our DEI Commitment