Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $35 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better Opportunity:
Better is looking for a Director of IT Infrastructure to support our rapid growth and infrastructure operations. This person will report to the Global Head of IT, and partner with the infrastructure Architect. This role will provide hands-on leadership and guidance for the IT Infrastructure team and is responsible for defining IT Infrastructure strategy, direction, standards and management, including disaster recovery, security practices and compliance, systems, servers, and storage. You will be responsible for maintaining reliable 24x7 operations. The ideal candidate is a technical leader with a background in IT Engineering, who can oversee day-to-day operations and manage the infrastructure team.
Responsibilities will include:
- Developing and evolving vision and strategy of IT infrastructure solutions, including cloud and on-premise solutions
- Working with the Infrastructure Architect to research and recommend new technologies, applications, hardware, etc.
- Providing a stable, reliable, safe, secure, and scalable environment for the continuous operation of our global infrastructure and applications which rely upon it, with minimal unplanned downtime
- Building and maintaining a high-performing team
- Developing strategic direction and leadership for the IT Infrastructure team,including setting priorities and coordinating projects and resources
- Developing and maintaining high employee engagement within the Infrastructure and Operations functions
- Providing and maintaining customer satisfaction on the services provided by the Infrastructure team
- Establishing standardized processes based upon ITIL to effectively manage the performance of the technical infrastructure (availability and performance of applications and servers, service desk ticket management, hardware, lifecycle management, etc.)
- Developing a Disaster Recovery strategy plan for critical systems and infrastructure
- Maintaining a disaster recovery plan for critical systems and infrastructure
- Maintaining regular reporting to Senior Management on general team performance and health
- Establishing service level agreements (SLAs) and operating level agreements in alignment with company objectives and customer needs
- Assessing single points of failure and implementing actions appropriately
- Working closely with Product and Engineering to review customer requirements and feedback and identify opportunities for systems enhancements
- Overseeing deployments, fixes, updates, and related processes
- Automating our operational processes, as needed, with accuracy and in compliance with our security requirements
- Promoting knowledge sharing within the team, by contributing to the Better knowledge base, and helping coworkers better understand our automation processes
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science preferred
- Minimum 5 years of experience leading infrastructure teams
- Minimum 10 years of experience in the IT industry
- Experience with organizations of 10k+ users
- Experience running teams within large organizations
- Experience automating processes
- Solid project management skills and the ability to manage multiple projects concurrently
- Strong knowledge of ITIL and change management systems and methodologies
- Demonstrates the business and financial acumen necessary to develop and present data-based ideas and solutions in a clear, concise, organized manner
- Strong technical background with a good understanding of technology and industry trends
- Experience with AWS infrastructure, including building and managing services
- Strong communication skills and ability to explain protocol and processes with teams and management (internal and external)
- Strong team player
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Better.com is committed to paying NYC HQ salary bands, for all employees, regardless of where they are located and does not adjust salaries based on cost of living location. Our total rewards package consists of base salary, yearly cash bonus, equity and benefits. Additional employment-related benefits include:
- A $500 stipend to set up the WFH office of your dreams
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits—including medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust holistic wellbeing offerings where you can experience unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after only 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.