Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs, bringing better care to where it’s needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that “health is local” and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs and some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities, one block at a time. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are—bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we’ll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. We will get started in new markets, each with their own operating structure and care teams, and continue to grow in the communities where we are working already. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To deliver a radically better experience of care to our members and advance equity in the communities we serve, we strive to make our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bridging together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels like they belong, are valued, respected, and celebrated as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
About the Role:
As an Operations Director, you will serve as the business leader for the Brooklyn market. You will direct operations both across Cityblock’s two primary care Hubs and the interdisciplinary member facing care teams. Reporting to the Brooklyn General Manager, the Operations Director will play an integral role in operationalizing Cityblock’s care model in the clinic practice setting and will ensure care teams are supported in their community based work.
The key function of your job is to partner with the leaders in your area to develop highly impactful processes, systems and infrastructure in support of the caregivers that provide direct services to Cityblock’s members through our innovative care model.
- Provide oversight and support to the daily management of the Hubs through the Ops Managers as well as develop strategic plans to improve current processes with an emphasis on “scaling the model” to serve our growing patient population.
- Partner with the Medical Directors to make the Hubs the best place for caregivers to practice community based care.
- Provide oversight and support to the daily management of the care teams through the Care Team Leads. Develop strategic plans to deliver effective and efficient social care.
- Share and report out on these plans regularly with your team, your General Manager, and team members at the Block, our national office in Dumbo, Brooklyn, where Product, Finance, Marketing, and many other teams function to develop tools and technologies that support the members of Cityblock care teams at the forefront of member care.
- Work directly with the Block team for some portion of your time to channel and inform priorities for Block products and projects that support your team’s workflows.
- Be a leader who “models the way” and operationalizes our unique culture around highest quality process improvement, thoughtful prioritization, performance excellence, clinical care, and team experience.
- Lead all business operations, budgeting, and administrative activities that support the market to drive high value performance and an efficient, lean operating model, in collaboration with medical directors who oversee the care at each site.
- Direct Care Operations in partnership with the Care Team Leads. Use your deep understanding of the care model to leverage the knowledge of our community resources to effectively and efficiently serve our members where they are at.
- Proactively address operational issues at the Hub and/or within the care team and collaborate with in-market team members to solve problems quickly and thoughtfully, and ensure that learnings from process builds are captured to support our care model and implementation playbooks for the future.
- Ensure that member experience at the Hubs is human-centric by overseeing member experience processes, workflows and infrastructure (greeting, registration, environment, interactions, design).
- Support direct reports in maintaining efficient and effective operations, including member experience, staff scheduling, communications, and general operational support for the care team.
- Ensure that all tools and supportive technology (e.g., Commons, EHR) are being well utilized across all roles and propose evolutions of this toolkit to better support operations.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory & environmental policies and procedures across all aspects of operations, including proper documentation and billing practices, through collaboration with in-market staff.
Requirements for the Role:
- You have a bachelor’s degree and 7+ years of experience managing diverse operations teams that serve multiple functions, including clinical and non-clinical roles
- You have deep experience and a deep comfort working within a high-paced, ambiguous, ever-evolving startup environment
- Have hands-on operations leadership experience; you’ve built and improved teams, built deep stakeholder relationships well, and driven high-fidelity, field-based operations
- Have excellent project/process management skills (particularly with modern tool suites built off of cloud-based collaboration), and you are rigorous, energetic, agile, flexible, and aren’t afraid to do the work yourself
- A dedicated servant-leader who loves supporting, managing, and developing the skills and sense of belonging amongst a diverse team. You are thoughtful and genuinely open to others’ perspectives. You are able to create structure, gather relevant input, and make decisions within ambiguous, interesting management scenarios.
- You are deeply familiar with regulatory requirements pertaining to medical practices, including documentation and billing, quality reporting (HEDIS, QARR), and environmental requirements to ensure safety for members and staff
- You have excellent communication skills, including comfort giving and receiving constructive feedback, facilitating tough conversations, interacting effectively a diverse care team, and interacting with the general public
- You are comfortable using a variety of technologies and systems, including gSuite, practice management, care management, electronic health record, and billing systems
- You are compassionate, open-minded, and non-judgmental
- You have the ability to think quickly and solve problems in the moment
How We Define Success:
- Achievement of Care Team KPIs on a weekly and quarterly basis
- Efficiently running local spaces for our members with associated process efficacy
- Demonstrated ability to manage dispersed teams and at scale
- Partner with clinical leadership team to drive provider visits with Cityblock members and algin on priorities for clinicians
Nice to Have, But Not Required:
- Direct experience or deep familiarity with ambulatory clinical practice operations
- Experience owning and managing a P&L
- Masters Degree
What We’d Like From You:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short cover letter, please!
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and the populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.