Director, Patient Operations
There are more than 7,000 known human diseases, but we have treatments for fewer than 500 of them. Despite sweeping technological changes transforming the world, it still takes more than 10 years and hundreds of millions of dollars to bring a new drug to market. At TrialSpark, we don’t believe it has to be this way.
The bottleneck of getting new treatments to patients is the time it takes to run a clinical trial -- not the ability to discover new drugs (which is actually becoming more efficient). We started TrialSpark to decrease the time and cost of a clinical trial, so that every year we can test more life-impacting treatments for real human diseases, ultimately bringing them to patients faster. We do this by partnering with physicians to enable them to run clinical trials within their existing practices. By providing the technology platform, equipment, and staffing, TrialSpark alleviates the operational burden of clinical research, enabling physicians to focus on what they do best --patient care. And by bringing clinical research to more physician practices, TrialSpark is enabling access for the 98% of patients who currently can’t take advantage of the benefits of participating clinical trials. We want to bridge the gap between medical research and patients who need treatment.
First, a bit of context about TrialSpark’s business:
In short, TrialSpark works with our Biotech and Pharma partners in 3 ways: 1) we provide standalone digital advertising-based patient recruitment services, 2) we operate trial sites in support of phase II-IV clinical trials, and 3) we run end-to-end Phase II studies as an alternative to a Contract Research Organization (CRO).
As the Director of Patient Operations, you will play an instrumental role in delivering all three of these business lines.
First, you will oversee the delivery of our patient recruitment services, which includes building and running an organization to deliver a best-in-class patient recruitment solution to our Pharma and Biotech partners. This is a GM-esque role that requires a mix of operational, client service, and commercial acumen.
Second, you will be responsible for overseeing the patient operations that support our trial site and Phase II full study business. This includes working closely with our Marketing team to ensure we meet our patient recruitment targets, as well as partnering with both our Clinical Operations and Marketing teams to ensure that all patients who participate in a TrialSpark-run clinical trial have a fantastic experience.
This is a core operational leadership role for TrialSpark. You’ll be running the day-to-day operations of one of our business lines, as well as overseeing a core component of our other two. It’s a true generalist leadership position, requiring a mix of strategic problem solving, team management, customer success, and process building.
What we’re looking for:
- You have 7+ years of experience building and leading teams, preferably in a startup environment
- You have strong operational chops, having built and streamlined complex processes. Bonus points if these processes were oriented around getting customers to take actions (e.g. getting a patient to visit their doctor)
- You have experience in a service-based role and are passionate about delivering a fantastic experience for patients and clients alike
- You have a strong grounding in strategic and analytical problem solving, possibly having spent time in a heavily analytical role earlier in your career (e.g. consulting or finance)
- You are proactive and act like an owner. You look to get in front of problems and when something does go wrong your first instinct is to ask “how can I help fix it?”
- You have a high learning rate and constantly look for ways to improve how your team operates
- You are a first-principles thinker and take a data-driven approach to solving problems
- You re performance-oriented and understand how to use objective measurements to make decisions
- You operate well in ambiguity. You’re comfortable in an environment where responsibilities and priorities can change quickly based on the needs of the business
- You are scrappy and ready to roll up your sleeves to get something done
- You are kind, thoughtful, and have a low ego. You care about your team and colleagues and it shows
You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.