Director, Patient Safety Programs at Flatiron Health
We're looking for a Director, Patient Safety Programs to help us accomplish our mission to improve lives by learning from the experience of every cancer patient. Here's what you need to know about the role, our team and why Flatiron Health is the right next step in your career.
What You'll Do
In this role, you'll work with the Clinical Oncology Team and other stakeholders to ensure that patient safety commitments continue to improve. You'll work with cross-functional teams to refine, maintain, and oversee our patient safety programs which are intended to accelerate improvements primarily focused on our community oncology initiatives (e.g. electronic health record, billing solutions, practice management offerings). This role will provide dynamic leadership for patient safety programs, educate to the broader organization on patient safety best practices, consult with management and staff, and oversee first in class patient safety strategies. In addition, you'll also:
- Act as the primary responsible party to refine, implement, and enhance Flatiron Health’s patient safety program based on applicable regulatory requirements, industry best practices, and internal patient safety commitments
- Provide proactive patient safety support methods for cross-functional teams; Enhance and optimize Flatiron Health’s patient safety culture focused on doing the right thing and focusing on our customers
- Oversee the identification, assessment, escalation, reporting, management, and closure of proactive and responsive patient safety activities; Steer patient safety focused investigations and impact assessments; Guide teams in the implementation and management of effective corrective and preventive actions for patient safety related events; Apply lessons learned from these activities to optimize the safety programs
- Develop proactive ways to measure and assess the health of Flatiron Health’s patient safety programs; Interpret and synthesize patient safety trends to enable management review, governance, and continuous improvement
- Guide and oversee proactive patient safety assessments during product development, testing, and enhancement intended to detect potential patient safety risks intended to inform corresponding technical safeguards (e.g., software controls)
- Guide and support communications with customers regarding patient safety programs; Review and approve written documentation regarding patient safety programs intended for external distribution
- Implement and enhance patient safety policies and procedures; Oversee the creation and maintenance of documentation to support patient safety programs (e.g., roadmaps, action plans, patient safety assessments); Develop, deliver, and enhance patient safety training
- Collaborate with our Compliance, Engineering, Legal, Marketing, Operations, Oncology, Privacy, Product Management, and Quality teams
This is a great opportunity to impact healthcare providers and the care that they provide to patients, and to grow within the Clinical Oncology organization and beyond at Flatiron.
Who You Are
You're a proactive and strategic problem-solver with direct experience building, maintaining, and overseeing patient safety programs which are intended to ensure that software products, clinical content, and services are safe and add value to end users. You're excited by the prospect of rolling up your sleeves to tackle meaningful problems each and every day. You’re a kind, passionate and collaborative problem-solver who seeks and gives candid feedback, and values the chance to make an important impact.
- You have at least 8 years of direct experience in a patient safety role with progressively responsible experience as a patient safety leader in a highly regulated, healthcare environment (e.g., electronic health records, government agency, medical oncology practices, health insurance company, hospital, medical device company, etc.) with hands on experience with software systems and how they impact a patient safety program
- You have the ability to work in the Flatiron Health offices in New York, NY
- You have clinical training and experience (e.g., RN, PharmD) ideally within oncology
- You are a subject matter expertise with healthcare industry patient safety best practices such as SAFER Guides, LeapFrog, Institute for Safe Medication Practices, Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC)’s safety-enhanced design, Joint Commission, ECRI Institute patient safety assurance, American Society of Healthcare Risk Management (ASHRM), etc.
- You have direct experience with building, implementing, and optimizing patient safety programs ideally in more than one organization
- You have direct experience with handling patient safety incidents from identification through to closure
- You have experience drafting, reviewing, implementing patient safety policies and procedures as well as the associated training
- You have the ability to work within cross-functional teams and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- You have structured communication skills tailored to both project teams and executive management
- You are passionate about improving lives by learning from the experience of every cancer patient
If this sounds like you, you'll fit right in at Flatiron.
- You have direct experience with hiring, training, developing, and managing patient safety staff
- You have an advanced clinical degree (MD, NP, PA)
- You have a patient safety certification such as Certified Professional in Patient Safety credential (CPPS), Certified Professional in Health Care Risk Management (CPHRM), ASHRM Patient Safety Certificate Program, etc.
- You have experience working at a software provider
- You have experience working at a healthcare service provider
- You have experience with software development, coding languages (such as .net, python, SQL), testing, quality assurance
- You have a familiarity with patient safety support for FDA regulated research (e.g., clinical trials, pharmacovigilance, FDA safety submissions such as integrated summaries of safety [ISS], Periodic Benefit -Risk Evaluation Reports [PBRER], etc.)
Why You Should Join Our Team
A career at Flatiron is a chance to work with everyone involved in the future of cancer care and research—all under one roof. Researchers, data scientists, designers, clinicians, technologists and many more all work together to improve cancer care and accelerate research.
You'll also find a culture of continuous learning, broad and inclusive employee support offerings, and a commitment to supporting our team members in all aspects of their lives—at home, at work and everywhere in between. We offer:
- Flatiron University training curriculum which includes presentation skills, meeting mastery, coding languages and more
- Career coaching opportunities
- Hackathons for all employees (not just our engineers!)
- Professional development benefit for attending conferences, industry events and external courses
- Work/life autonomy via flexible work hours and flexible paid time off
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks for either parent)
- Back-up child care
- Flatiron-sponsored fitness classes
Flatiron Health is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.