Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open-source, distributed SQL database. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy. Are you ready to aim high and build to last?About the Role
The Director of Pricing and Monetization strategy will be the point person in the Finance organization partnering with Revenue, Product, Product Marketing, and Service organizations to define price strategies, buying programs, and discounting policies. You will assist the Revenue team with the most complex deals and in setting the economics of new channels. You will be responsible to provide an analytical view on price realization and gross margin performance. Your objectives will be to constantly find opportunities to accelerate customer acquisition while also optimizing for the customer’s long-term value and as a result to impact top-line and gross margin performance.You Will
- Provide strategic advice and analytical support to assess pricing changes and new buying programs across self-manage subscriptions, cloud services, and other support and professional services
- Capture intelligence on competitive pricing and conduct competitive price analyses (e.g., including interviewing Fields teams to understand competitive dynamics of deals lost because of pricing)
- Partner with Revenue, Product Marketing, and Product to set discount approval guidelines and design programmatic discount programs (e.g., promotions, volume discounts, freemium models, etc.)
- Partner with Deal Desk and Field teams in structuring or reviewing the most complex deals
- Partner with Channel and Alliance organization in assessing new routes to market, structuring new channel programs, and support them in negotiating the financial terms of new partnerships
- Establish processes and models to assess the impact of pricing changes, new programs, and the structure of major deals on key financial metrics (e.g., revenue growth, gross margin, net expansion rate, etc. )
- Report on price realization and gross margin performance and analyze key drivers to identify and recommend improvement areas
- Collaborate with Revenue Ops on managing price books and ensuring all systems are updated.
- Be the founding member of the function and operate initially as an individual contributor. As the business grows in scale and complexity, you, as a senior member in the Finance organization, will be expected to build a team and take on more responsibilities.
In your first 30 days, you will develop a strong understanding of our current business, in particular our products and services, how they are priced and transacted, and the key drivers of top-line and financial performance. You will also become familiar with the targeted market, the competition product offering, and strategy, and the company vision, strategy, product differentiation, and future roadmap. You will establish relationships with major executives and organizations you will be partnering with. You will quickly understand the major gaps and develop an initial roadmap of priorities (to be later refined), in particular, around pricing, buying programs, and deal structuring.
After 3 months, you'll be fully up to speed and integrated into the Finance team and the organizations you will be partnering closely with. You will have reviewed contracts and interviewed Field teams to understand how customers want to purchase and the competitive dynamics.
By that point, you will have aligned cross-functionally on the major pricing changes that should be considered and elements of our transactional models that should be reassessed. You will have reviewed and discussed with key stakeholders, in particular, the Revenue team. You will have iterated on the initial roadmap of priorities and put selected initiatives in motion.
As you deepen your understanding of our business model and financial performance, you will establish processes to track performance, identify areas for improvement on an ongoing basis, and understand the financial performance of a more complex business.You Have
- 7+ years of experience in Pricing, Deal Desk, Sales Finance or related monetization roles within a SaaS, Enterprise Software, or Cloud Platforms
- Experience at pricing and monetization strategies and deal structuring
- Experience in working closely with Sales
- Rigorous analytical thinking and strong problem-solving skills, including the ability to analyze large data sets
- Degree with strong analytical curriculum
- Effective written and verbal communication skills, also at the Executive level
- Ability to simplify complex concepts
- Ability to collaborate and influence cross-functionally
Reporting to Lorenzo Montesi - Chief Financial Officer
Lorenzo is a seasoned professional with over a decade of experience leading finance, strategy, and operations for top technology companies. He loves to partner with technical teams and help them build companies that disrupt established markets. He was most recently the SVP of Finance at Cohesity, an enterprise data management company, where he led the finance and sales operations teams through multiple years of hyper-growth. Before joining Cohesity, Lorenzo held strategy and sales operations positions at VMware, RSA, and EMC, and earlier in his career, he was a management consultant at the Boston Consulting Group. He lives in California with his wife and two teenage children and loves outdoor activities (cycling, skiing, and hiking).Our Benefits
- 100% health insurance option (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Learning and Development budget
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at [email protected]